Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bog garden and others, lots of pictures

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I started reading about reservoirs in bogs, I thought the exact same thing Scot. Believe it or not it doesn't work that way. What happens is, the media in the entire bog absorbs the water out of the reservoir, the water level in the bog is right at the drainage holes.

Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crissytal,
    I see what you mean, and I understand the theory, but the entire bog is waterlogged right up to the drain holes!
    the reservoir is merely an open container filled with water at the bottom..
    if the reservoir wasnt there, you would have waterlogged peat in its place, and the water level would still be all the way up at the top at the drainholes..

the reservoir isnt doing anything..its just a space filled with water rather than filled with waterlogged peat.

What happens is, the media in the entire bog absorbs the water out of the reservoir
    no it doesnt..because everything below the drainage holes, way up at he top, is waterlogged...solid water.

as an analogy, take the reservoir/white container and sink it in the bottom of a swimming pool..is the pool going to suck water out of the reservoir?

or imagine that instead of peat, the bog was filled with golf-ball sized rocks..
    then fill the bog to the top with water..the reservoir cant "add" more water to the area around it, because the area around is already fully filled with water..the space inside and outside the reservoir is basically the same..its all water.
    yes, particles of peat are much smaller than golf balls, but when its all fully submerged in water, totally saturated, the particle size doesnt matter.

im not trying to shoot down your idea!
    not trying to be harsh..
    I just think its a lot of unnecessary work for no gain.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you are saying now. It makes sense. I've noticed the water level in the reservoir has dropped, while the level in the bog has stayed up to the drainage holes. Either way, works or doesn't it will make it MUCH easier for me to fill the bog back up when the water level drops. I was having problems previously keeping the water level up. The media was absorbing the water way too slow, I would have been out there all day trying to water it.

The water level in the PVC pipe does not match the over all water level of the bog. What I mean by this is, dig down 3" and you hit water. The water level in the PVC pipe (leading down into the reservoir) is about 6-12" lower.
    Last edited by Crissytal; 04-14-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Additional info
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you simplified the plan down to the media acting as a plain old dish sponge.

In a normal set up.. you have a wet sponge that slowly drys up.

in the reservoir set up.. you have a wet sponge that has an end sitting in a cup of water. Through capillary action, the sponge would stay wet longer. Per the available volume... you have more water than media.

Now the only thing to bring up is how high the capillary action would bring the water up into the media from the reservoir at the bottom?

Secondly... . does it matter in the end? will everyone plants grow.. yes... but we all need to keep each other busy someone!!! Come On!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An empty box holds more water than soaked peat would, thus the water in the bog runs out slower than without a reservoir. And thats about the only advantage, but it certainly allows you to water less frequently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some updated pictures that I took today. Not too much has happened, but some new growth can be seen.

Top shot of bog.

D. filiformis filiformis

D. filformis filiformis 'tracyi'

Typical VFT showing new growth

D. aliciae not looking the best. That's how it looked when I moved it out several days ago. It's not looking any worse so that's good.

S. psittacina looking a little rough, but it's putting out new growth.

Red dragon coloring up. Survived winter dormancy.

A small S. purp.

S. alata sp. getting ready to open a new leaf.

Mini bog top shot

Water garden full shot.

Water garden again.

Enjoy,
    Crystal
    Last edited by Crissytal; 04-14-2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typing error and added a picture
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Crystal! VERY NICE!! I love that water garden!!! The mini bog is very cool - i can see the new growth and in no time that will be PACKED!! YEAHH!!

Rob :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob! I really like the water garden too. Though I am getting some algae growth since the weather has started to warm up. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet. I think all three: the bog, mini bog, and water garden are gonna be pretty packed in no time! That'll just be more stuff I can divide up and trade/give away to you guys .

Crystal
    --Godsmack

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast