What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
I've been seeing a lot of bog gardens this year being posted on the forum. I finally decided to do one of my own. I took my pond liner, it was a water garden last year, and emptied it out. All my aquatic plants went into an 18 gallon Rubbermaid container. I cut holes in the liner about 3" down all the way around. They are spaced about 8-12" apart. The media is roughly 50/50 peat and sand mix. Originally I had put some wood logs in the bottom to keep from having to use so much media. I made sure everything was well soaked. It rained a few days after. When I checked on it again, I noticed it wasn't holding water like it should. There was no water standing in the bottom below the drainage holes, I dug down to check. I believe the logs were not yet water logged, and pulled most of the moisture out of the media. Trying to top water was a disaster. Good thing I didn't have any plants in yet. I proceeded to scoop all the peat/sand mix out, pulled out the logs and added a reservoir. It has worked wonders! The reservoir actually is taking up more space than the wood logs did. I'm storing the extra media in a 5-gallon bucket. It was almost full! Here are some pictures of the reservoir construction:

I'm not exactly sure how much water the container holds. It's at least a gallon if not more. I used an ice pick to poke tiny holes on all sides.

P1000792.jpg

This shows the container, lid, and PVC pipe , as well as my oops. I got a little carried away with pressure and cracked the plastic. Some clear silicone fixed it up.

P1000791.jpg

Here is everything together.

P1000793.jpg

This is of the side of the pond liner, a drainage hole can be seen about midway the picture.

P1000842.jpg

Here's the bog with media and the reservoir in place.

P1000835.jpg

Entire bog completed with LFS on top with a bit of live LFS. I'm expecting the live LFS to burn in the heat.

P1000839.jpg

Shot showing the PVC pipe. I can check the water level using this and it also assists with watering.

P1000840.jpg

I had more plants than I needed, so I threw together a small mini bog. It's one of those pots with the lip on the bottom.

P1000834.jpg

Completed with LFS with some live scattered around.

P1000837.jpg

Showing the lip.
P1000838.jpg

The larger bog contains:
D. filiformis tracyi x cluster
D. filiformis filiformis x 1
D. binata dichotoma "Giant Form" x 1
S. alata sp. x 1
S. x 'Dana’s Delight' x 1
S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' x 1
S. minor x 1
S. psittacina x 1
S. purpurea x 1
S. x 'Scarlet Belle' x 1
VFT dente x 1
VFT typical x 7
VFT Red Dragon x 2

I've since added a D. aliceae and D. capensis typical. I know they won't survive the winter; I have plenty and if need be I can transplant before it gets too cold.

The mini bog contains:
S. alata sp. x 1
S. flava x 1 that's trying to be dead
VFT Dente x 5
VFT typical x 2

And my small water garden. It's changed since this picture was taken, I've added two more plants. In the picture I have one water lily, java moss (I have too much!), some najas grass (if the java moss hasn't choked it out), and a water plant that made it through the winter. I forget exactly what it's called, I have the tag somewhere. That's just a small pot of the stuff and is just beginning to grow. It gets much larger. I don't think I have a picture of the larger pot of it.

P1000836.jpg

I'll try to get some updated pictures of the bog and water garden tomorrow if the weather permits and if anyone is interested.

Enjoy,
Crystal

Very nice Crystal. Wonder how long it's going to take those plants to fill up the entire bog :)

Looks really good! Your resevoir idea is really clever.
Post pics when it gets more established.
-Matt

lookin good crystal! great idea on the box & pvc, ill have to steal your idea for my next one :D

~b

.....and in a few months... it's gonna be a jungle in there!:-D

Crystal,
looks nice!
but im confused about something..

your first 3 photos, of the while/clear container with all the holes..
what is that exactly?
I dont see it in any of the other photos..

(edit)

oh! never mind! I got it now! ;)
its buried in the "pond" as the water container!
cool...but..why exactly do you need that reservoir?
wouldnt just filling the bog with water serve the same purpose?
im not quite getting it..

thanks,
Scot

Hey guys. Thanks for the compliments. Sorry for not replying sooner, I've come down with this darn cold.

I can't take complete credit on the reservoir. I was looking through on another forum and came across a similar idea. At that time I was unsure if I wanted to do a fancy circulating bog or not. I decided not, and want with the reservoir instead; it's so much simpler.

Baylorguy and Jim,

I don't think it will be long at all before it's nice and full! Or at least I hope not anyway :)

Scot,

I can see where it can be a bit confusing. I didn't get any pics before I put the reservoir into the bog. The reservoir is sitting on the very bottom of the bog. The media is surrounding the container completely. The theory behind this is, as the moisture evaporates from the media, the reservoir (container) will release the water into the media through all the little holes. I have drainage holes at the top of the bog, so it won't overflow. Filling the bog with water would work I guess, but there wouldn't be a compartment to help sustain the moisture level. As hot as it's been the last few days, I most likely would have had to of watered it already. I believe the reservoir helps the bog hold more water than it normally would because the container is holding strictly water, there's not media in the reservoir. When it rains, the reservoir will fill back up. When it's full, water will leak out of the drainage holes around the side of the bog to prevent overflow. If there's no rain and it needs watering, I can just water through the PVC pipe. Does that help a little? I'll try to throw a little diagram together.

The theory behind this is, as the moisture evaporates from the media, the reservoir (container) will release the water into the media through all the little holes.

hmmm..interesting idea..but I dont see how that could work.
because there are so many holes in the reservoir, all up and down its side, the water level in the overall bog will always be identical to the water level in the reservoir..if the water level falls in the reservoir, the level falls in the bog..if you add more water to the reservoir, filling it up more, the water seeps out the holes into the bog..the water level will always be balanced (the same level) inside the reservoir and outside it.

I dont see how the reservoir idea can be any different than just having the tube sticking into the bog by itself, without the reservoir.

like I said, it cant hurt anything..I just dont see the need for it. I dont think it can do what it was "advertised" to do.

You can achieve the exact same thing with this, and gain a lot more space for media:

bog2.gif

Scot

When I started reading about reservoirs in bogs, I thought the exact same thing Scot. Believe it or not it doesn't work that way. What happens is, the media in the entire bog absorbs the water out of the reservoir, the water level in the bog is right at the drainage holes.

diagram.jpg

Crissytal,
I see what you mean, and I understand the theory, but the entire bog is waterlogged right up to the drain holes! ;)
the reservoir is merely an open container filled with water at the bottom..
if the reservoir wasnt there, you would have waterlogged peat in its place, and the water level would still be all the way up at the top at the drainholes..

the reservoir isnt doing anything..its just a space filled with water rather than filled with waterlogged peat.

What happens is, the media in the entire bog absorbs the water out of the reservoir

no it doesnt..because everything below the drainage holes, way up at he top, is waterlogged...solid water.

as an analogy, take the reservoir/white container and sink it in the bottom of a swimming pool..is the pool going to suck water out of the reservoir?

or imagine that instead of peat, the bog was filled with golf-ball sized rocks..
then fill the bog to the top with water..the reservoir cant "add" more water to the area around it, because the area around is already fully filled with water..the space inside and outside the reservoir is basically the same..its all water.
yes, particles of peat are much smaller than golf balls, but when its all fully submerged in water, totally saturated, the particle size doesnt matter.

im not trying to shoot down your idea! ;)
not trying to be harsh..
I just think its a lot of unnecessary work for no gain.

Scot

I see what you are saying now. It makes sense. I've noticed the water level in the reservoir has dropped, while the level in the bog has stayed up to the drainage holes. Either way, works or doesn't it will make it MUCH easier for me to fill the bog back up when the water level drops. I was having problems previously keeping the water level up. The media was absorbing the water way too slow, I would have been out there all day trying to water it.

The water level in the PVC pipe does not match the over all water level of the bog. What I mean by this is, dig down 3" and you hit water. The water level in the PVC pipe (leading down into the reservoir) is about 6-12" lower.

Last edited:
if you simplified the plan down to the media acting as a plain old dish sponge.

In a normal set up.. you have a wet sponge that slowly drys up.

in the reservoir set up.. you have a wet sponge that has an end sitting in a cup of water. Through capillary action, the sponge would stay wet longer. Per the available volume... you have more water than media.

Now the only thing to bring up is how high the capillary action would bring the water up into the media from the reservoir at the bottom?

Secondly... . does it matter in the end? will everyone plants grow.. yes... but we all need to keep each other busy someone!!! Come On!

An empty box holds more water than soaked peat would, thus the water in the bog runs out slower than without a reservoir. And thats about the only advantage, but it certainly allows you to water less frequently

Here's some updated pictures that I took today. Not too much has happened, but some new growth can be seen.

Top shot of bog.

P1000877.jpg

D. filiformis filiformis

P1000879.jpg

D. filformis filiformis 'tracyi'

P1000878.jpg

Typical VFT showing new growth

P1000881.jpg

D. aliciae not looking the best. That's how it looked when I moved it out several days ago. It's not looking any worse so that's good.

P1000882.jpg

S. psittacina looking a little rough, but it's putting out new growth.

P1000884.jpg

Red dragon coloring up. Survived winter dormancy.

P1000883.jpg

A small S. purp.

P1000885.jpg

S. alata sp. getting ready to open a new leaf.

P1000886.jpg

Mini bog top shot

P1000888.jpg

Water garden full shot.

P1000891.jpg

Water garden again.

P1000892.jpg

Enjoy,
Crystal

Last edited:
Hi Crystal! VERY NICE!! I love that water garden!!! The mini bog is very cool - i can see the new growth and in no time that will be PACKED!! YEAHH!!

Rob :)

Thanks Rob! I really like the water garden too. Though I am getting some algae growth since the weather has started to warm up. Not sure what I'm going to do about that yet. I think all three: the bog, mini bog, and water garden are gonna be pretty packed in no time! That'll just be more stuff I can divide up and trade/give away to you guys :-D.

Crystal

Another Update.

I had to throw together another bog. Considering I ran out of time to get it together, it didn't turn out half bad I don't think.

Here's some pictures of it going together.

I didn't plan on using this container. It was supposed to be used as storage for my pots and what not. It didn't happen lol.
P1000997.jpg

I poked drainage holes about three inches down. I guesstimated.
P1000998.jpg

I made another reservoir from a smaller container. Almost too big.
P1000993.jpg

I poked holes all around, plenty in the top and sides, only a few in the bottom.
P1000995.jpg

Together with PVC pipe.
P1000999.jpg

In the bog.
P1010001.jpg

Media going on top. It's mostly peat, with only a slight amount of sand.
P1010002.jpg

Complete. Ignore the mess please :).
fullshotnew.jpg

Dente VFT
P1010102.jpg

Red Dragon
P1010103.jpg

Extra P. titan I had. It hasn't experienced any burning whatsoever. I guess my grow lights inside are pretty bright.
P1010104.jpg

D. intermedia, a little difficult to see (thanks to you know who you are ;)).
P1010105.jpg

S. minor
P1010011.jpg

Original bog.
P1010109.jpg

Are these D. capillaris? If so they have certainly changed from the way they looked from being in the house. That would also make them a couple that I rescued from the drought that were naturally growing on my property last year. There were hundreds; they are yet to come back this year.
P1010111.jpg

VFT with another plant growing from a cut flower stalk.
P1010112.jpg

Small S. purp.
P1010114.jpg

D. capensis that I threw in.
P1010119.jpg

S. alata that was damaged when I placed newspaper over the bog when we had a few light frosts.
bents.jpg

D. fil.
d-1.jpg

D. fil. 'traci'
d.jpg

S. 'Dana's Delight'
s.jpg

Mini Bog is coming along.
P1010028.jpg

Water garden.
P1010108.jpg

And my helper, Dinky. He's resting after a hard day of supervising.
P1010032.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Crystal

yes, particles of peat are much smaller than golf balls, but when its all fully submerged in water, totally saturated, the particle size doesnt matter.

im not trying to shoot down your idea! ;)
not trying to be harsh..
I just think its a lot of unnecessary work for no gain.

Scot

Particle size doesn't matter? Look up osmosis and semi-permeable membranes. It may not matter in your examples but it does matter.

Maybe you should try adding U. gibba in your water garden. It'd look even better!.

Ps: I love your dog, I have a Golden Retiever too!

Back