I've been seeing a lot of bog gardens this year being posted on the forum. I finally decided to do one of my own. I took my pond liner, it was a water garden last year, and emptied it out. All my aquatic plants went into an 18 gallon Rubbermaid container. I cut holes in the liner about 3" down all the way around. They are spaced about 8-12" apart. The media is roughly 50/50 peat and sand mix. Originally I had put some wood logs in the bottom to keep from having to use so much media. I made sure everything was well soaked. It rained a few days after. When I checked on it again, I noticed it wasn't holding water like it should. There was no water standing in the bottom below the drainage holes, I dug down to check. I believe the logs were not yet water logged, and pulled most of the moisture out of the media. Trying to top water was a disaster. Good thing I didn't have any plants in yet. I proceeded to scoop all the peat/sand mix out, pulled out the logs and added a reservoir. It has worked wonders! The reservoir actually is taking up more space than the wood logs did. I'm storing the extra media in a 5-gallon bucket. It was almost full! Here are some pictures of the reservoir construction:
I'm not exactly sure how much water the container holds. It's at least a gallon if not more. I used an ice pick to poke tiny holes on all sides.
This shows the container, lid, and PVC pipe , as well as my oops. I got a little carried away with pressure and cracked the plastic. Some clear silicone fixed it up.
Here is everything together.
This is of the side of the pond liner, a drainage hole can be seen about midway the picture.
Here's the bog with media and the reservoir in place.
Entire bog completed with LFS on top with a bit of live LFS. I'm expecting the live LFS to burn in the heat.
Shot showing the PVC pipe. I can check the water level using this and it also assists with watering.
I had more plants than I needed, so I threw together a small mini bog. It's one of those pots with the lip on the bottom.
Completed with LFS with some live scattered around.
Showing the lip.
The larger bog contains:
D. filiformis tracyi x cluster
D. filiformis filiformis x 1
D. binata dichotoma "Giant Form" x 1
S. alata sp. x 1
S. x 'Dana’s Delight' x 1
S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' x 1
S. minor x 1
S. psittacina x 1
S. purpurea x 1
S. x 'Scarlet Belle' x 1
VFT dente x 1
VFT typical x 7
VFT Red Dragon x 2
I've since added a D. aliceae and D. capensis typical. I know they won't survive the winter; I have plenty and if need be I can transplant before it gets too cold.
The mini bog contains:
S. alata sp. x 1
S. flava x 1 that's trying to be dead
VFT Dente x 5
VFT typical x 2
And my small water garden. It's changed since this picture was taken, I've added two more plants. In the picture I have one water lily, java moss (I have too much!), some najas grass (if the java moss hasn't choked it out), and a water plant that made it through the winter. I forget exactly what it's called, I have the tag somewhere. That's just a small pot of the stuff and is just beginning to grow. It gets much larger. I don't think I have a picture of the larger pot of it.
I'll try to get some updated pictures of the bog and water garden tomorrow if the weather permits and if anyone is interested.