What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T8 vs. T12

For a 48" fluorescent shop fixture, I'm curious - in your experiences, which is better for carnivorous plants (specifically, VFT's and warm (low 80's) humid terrarium species) - T8 or T12?

I understand a few basic differences between the two, but I don't know if it actually matters which you use.

If both are about the same light quality, but T8's run cooler than T12's, please let me know, because as of now the T12's I have are slightly overheating my terrarium.

Anyone?

I've tried both, I prefer the T-12, simply because the lamps and their ballast are more economical (they're both cheaper) that the T-8's.

I've tried both, I prefer the T-12, simply because the lamps and their ballast are more economical (they're both cheaper) that the T-8's.

For my small setup, I'd be willing to spend the extra if T8's are just as 'good' but run a bit cooler. My T12's run fairly hot, and the fixtures were only $9 at Lowe's, so I'm pretty well certain they're using magnetic ballasts vs. electronic.

The lights of america fixtures you can get at walmart for $9 will run both T8 and T12. I've never tried T8, but I don't see any benefit. I grow lowland neps only, so I like the heat, and T8s produce less lumens, but cost the same amount. Pointless IMO.

T8's produce less light? Interesting. ok That is good to know. But if you move up to T-5's you get more light (lumens) right?

found this on the internet.

Bulb for bulb, T8s give the same amount of light, or possibly slightly more, as equivalent T12s. According to the "Philips Lighting Guide to Fluorescent Lamps" for comparable 48" lamps, a T8 produces 2600 "design lumens" versus a T12's 2520 "design lumens". However, the T8 does this using 32 watts versus the T12's 40 watts. So while a one-for-one replacement of T12s with T8s
won't necessarily increase your lighting it will lower your electricity bill.

~b

I've often contemplated that same thing.

I can see where an investment in a light meter would be handy.

(kinda like a TDS meter for our water...)

So whats the difference between magnetic and electronic ballasts?

I have a light meter. A good one too. I guess it will come in handy now when I am setting up a grow room. I need a good TDS meter too now.

I think the electronic ballasts are better, but not sure what the differences are.

So whats the difference between magnetic and electronic ballasts?

Electronic vs. Magnetic ballasts

Eley et al. (1993) describe the advantages of electronic ballasts:

Electronic high-frequency ballasts increase lamp-ballast efficacy, leading to increased energy efficiency and lower operating costs. Electronic ballasts operate lamps using electronic switching power supply circuits. Electronic ballasts take incoming 60 Hz power (120 or 277 volts) and convert it to high-frequency AC (usually 20 to 40 kHz). Electronic ballasts are more efficient than magnetic ballasts in converting input power to the proper lamp power, and their operating of fluorescent lamps at higher frequencies reduces end losses, resulting in an overall lamp-ballast system efficacy increase of 15% to 20%.

Electronic ballasts have a number of other advantages over magnetic ballasts. Electronic ballasts are readily available that operate three or four lamps, allowing the use of a single ballast in 3-lamp and 4-lamp luminaires. This reduces both installation and field wiring labor costs, and may negate the necessity of tandem luminaire wiring as required by the 1992 Energy Efficiency Standards for Residential and Nonresidential Buildings (Title 24). Electronic ballasts are designed to operate lamps in either series or parallel mode. The advantage of the parallel mode of operation is that a single lamp failure will not affect the operation of the remaining lamps controlled by the same ballast. However, ballast losses will increase slightly in the parallel mode. Other advantages of the electronic ballast include reduced weight, quieter operation, and reduced lamp flicker. Electronic ballasts are directly interchangeable with magnetic ballasts, and they are available to operate most full-size and compact fluorescent lamps.

~b

Don't electronic ballasts create more heat though?

Mine seem to get pretty toasty. Fine if you're keeping a lot of lowlanders I guess.....

Back