Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Light Challenged

Someday is not a day of the week. Maxx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, my new terrarium is set-up. Its a 40-gallon tank with a T5 bulb. It's got some reflective stuff on the back wall. It's actually right in my room. I'm gonna try to hold the day temperature around 70F. The plants in it right now are (left to right) Judith Finn, Sanguinea, and some Capensis.

Attachment 304 Attachment 305
    I regret little to nothing!

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put some tin foil around it. Here's my terrarium.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maxx- None of those plants need a terarium that i know of. Also have you though about the dormancy period for the finn? You could probably just put them under a light and scratch the aquarium. But since you have it i guess you might as well use it now.

Capensis- Do your plants get the right spectrums of light with those bulbs? And why do you have the front covered it is sad because now you cant look at your plants
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Someday is not a day of the week. Maxx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know they don't need a terrarium, but I don't have anything else to put there right now and the Finn has never really pitchered so I wanted to see if increased light levels would help. Can you explain to me what you meant about the dormancy with the Finn?
    I regret little to nothing!

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    I don't like to just flat out contradict people but I must disagree with Valydius on one point - a high CRI is not appropriate for plants. At least, "the highest possible CRI" is an inappropriate criteria. CRI and color temperature are factors having to do with the average color the light puts out. Plants can use light coming from several ranges, so there isn't a single color that you're looking for.
    I'm actually thinking of switching from a full 6500K setup to adding 3 5000K's for a 50/50 mix.

I've read on multiple sites, however, that higher CRI is better for plants as "100 CRI" = sunlight. I've read on this very forum that anything 75-100 is acceptable - the higher the better. Futher, on the plant light primer posted here, it reads "A 'perfect' light source would have a CRI of 100."

Can anyone explain why high CRI is inappropriate for plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchi914 View Post

Capensis- Do your plants get the right spectrums of light with those bulbs? And why do you have the front covered it is sad because now you cant look at your plants
    -sigh- I have no idea if they are or not, someone threw away the original package of the bulb in the big lamp and my dad found a random in the black one. I figured with foil all around, it can get even better light, just incase. But I can still see through the top, though.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123