What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice pics. Makes me jealous. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys :).

No luck on mylar. The people at Lowes gave a funny look when I told them what I was looking for. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get it locally. Where do you guys get yours at?

Thanks,
Crystal

Look for a "Hydroponics Store" in your phonebook. That's where I got mine.

Not sure on the mylar, but I picked up one of those "emergency blankets" that are sold in outdoors shops and in car emergency kits. I haven't opened it, but this one looks just like mylar so I'm hoping to hang it behind my self.

I also have very shiny wrapping paper around a couple of tanks. It isn't the best, but it works when you can't find mylar. I think craft stores carry it, but that could be crazy expensive.

Crystal,

I actually just bought some mylar at a local birthday party store. It comes in packs of 3 sheets, and is only like $1.75 a pack! Lol they even come in different colors, but I just got the silver, which is probably the right thing to do. So ya I hope you have some kind of party store like that around you!!

Zach

Thanks guys for the suggestions! I do have a party store. Next time I get into town I'll check them out.

Crystal

Nice plants! Your P. weser looks an awful lot like my P. 'John Rizzi'

Hmm that's interesting. Could you get some pictures of your P. 'John Rizzi'? That's one that I'm not familiar with.

Here's some updated pictures of plants growing on my rack.

The second pitcher on my N. x Marbled Dragon opened yesterday. It's starting to color up and it's HUGE compared to the other pitcher. The plant is in a 4" pot for reference. The pictures aren't the best. I'm still learning the camera and trying to shoot through glass isn't easy.
P1010036.jpg

P1010037.jpg

N. ventricosa
P1010049.jpg

N. rafflesiana growing a new leaf. I hope this one pitchers finally.
P1010093.jpg

D. adelae finally looking a little happier. It's never been an easy plant for me. It's always just kind of survived, but never looked nice.
P1010096.jpg

D. indica 'green form' with D. kennealyii flower
P1010044.jpg

U. longfolia, it needs repotting.
P1010058.jpg

U. calcyfida
P1010075.jpg

U. sandersonii
P1010070.jpg

U. livida
P1010076.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Crystal

I went out today and looked for some mylar. I went to the party store. They said the only mylar they have is on the balloons. They tried to direct me to the cellophane wrapping paper (the stuff is see-through). I also went to Michael's, the craft store. Nada. I guess no mylar for me unless I order online and spend a small fortune :(. No hydroponics places near me either.

Crystal

maybe an auto parts store? i guess depending on your area you might be able to find a survival kit that would have that reflective blanket, or maybe those fold-away reflective things people put on their windshield?

~b

Going to try our sporting goods store, Eastern Outfitters tomorrow to see if they have the blankets. If they don't, I have no idea who would. My area is terrible for 'specialty' items, which mylar seems to be. It does exist right? Lol.

I like your Utrics! I'm starting to get into Utrics now :p.

Thank you Capensis! I think Utrics are frequently overlooked. When they decide to flower, they put on a pretty show that makes them worthwhile :).

So, I couldn't even get survival/emergency blankets locally. My town sucks. By the time I paid shipping, I'd have close to $10.00 in a $2.99 item. Luckily I found Valydius' post about the cheap mylar and ordered from that site. $10.00 for a roll of 50"x25' of mylar with free shipping was the way to go! I'll post some pictures once it comes in and I get it up.

Crystal

Back