What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
I decided to finally get some decent pictures of my grow rack. It's nothing elaborate. I plan to get some mylar soon to put on the back and at least one side of the rack if I can find it locally.

Full rack; it's a bit messy. I'm in the process of getting some stuff moved outside.
P1000936.jpg

Second shelf
P1000906.jpg

Close up for the terrariums
P1000907.jpg
P1000908.jpg

P1000910.jpg

N. x Marbled Dragon
P1000971.jpg

P1000981.jpg

N. sanguinea
P1000911.jpg

A small Nep. I can't remember what it is.
P1000982.jpg

The Neps seem much happier since I've increased their humdity. I'm hoping my N. rafflesiana will start pitchering again soon.

New young C. follicularis
P1000973.jpg

Crazy pothos, I need to trim it.
P1000935-1.jpg

Third shelf
P1000980.jpg

D. capensis
P1000952.jpg
P1000930.jpg

D. madagascariensis
P1000949.jpg

Newly received D. sp. Jacoby. Should have seeds soon :)
P1000954.jpg

D. binata 'Marston Dragon', one of several root cuttings.
P1000961.jpg

Pot 'o D. aliciae
P1000965.jpg

Young D. aliciae
P1000960.jpg

I lost the tag
P1000947.jpg

Young P. titan
P1000918.jpg

Another Titan
P1000943.jpg

Mother plant
P1000966.jpg

P. moctezumae
P1000956.jpg

P. gypsicola x moctezumae, arrived in very poor condition. Looking better now.
P1000957.jpg

P. weser
P1000963.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them,
Crystal

Nice looking plants you got there !!

Love it! How often do you have to vacuum? It looked like nothing but carpet under that shelf!

Very nice stuff.

Crazy pothos, I need to trim it.

lol. Those dang pathos can really take over. Nice looking area and great plants.

Love it! How often do you have to vacuum? It looked like nothing but carpet under that shelf!

Ugh... I know that feeling. I have carpet under my shelf and try and it's terrible! I have all sorts of pots and mixing bowls underneath to catch excess water, but I'm just waiting for mushrooms to grow in my carpet...

xvart.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

ilbasso I vacuum about once a week when I clean the house. When accidents happen, anything with dirt and water is an accident waiting to happen, I get it cleaned up right away. I've been meaning to put newspaper under the rack, but it hasn't happened yet lol.

Lol xvart. I'm waiting for my weedy CPs to start sprouting from the carpet :suspect:. That particular pothos in the picture were a few small cuttings last summer, now look at it. Anyone in need of some? :-))

Crystal

your plants look great crystal!

i have been known to take large trash bags and cut the sides so that it opens up fully and use that as a liner on carpet.

i have my own pothos making a jungle in my house :-O

~b

Well done, Crystal! *major drool*

Nice rack Crissytal.

You have two racks? That's a lot of up-keep. My one keeps me pretty busy. ;)

Nice set-up. Get some mylar on that.

Amazing! Btw, I have that same hydrometer with the little frog XD.

billylh, Jim, Fryster, JMurphy97, Capensis

Thanks for the compliments!

billylh that's a good idea. I'd be able to use that in one sheet instead of having to layer the newspaper. It would make things much easier to clean up. The dirt/plant parts has a tendency to get into every layer of the newspaper making it not fun to clean up.

Jim,

I think over half of my collection came from you!

Fryster,

I do have two racks. It's not too much up-keep. I just have to set aside enough time every couple of days to check over things and water them. The second rack (the green on with plastic) is getting ready to go outside. It's not nearly as large as my other rack. We're in the process of having a privacy fence put up as well as having a section enclosed off the back of the house (with another privacy fence). The rack will be going out along the fence during the summer to hold my cactus and succulents. I'll probably bring it back in and put my lights back on this fall/winter. They are normally under the shelter in full sun but since it's being enclosed, they have to be moved along with my outdoor CPs, bog, and water garden. Not sure how I'm going to get everything orgainized, but I do know the rack is going out to help me lol.

JMurphy97,

Working on the mylar part. Hopefully I can get to Lowes and Home Depot soon to try to locate some mylar. If they even sell it?

Capensis,

It's a cute little meter. I originally got it for my hermit crabs, now I'm using it for my CPs. It's starting to corrode already along the outside. Probably due to the salt water in the hermit crab tank.

Thanks guys,
Crystal

Nice it looks like your plants are doing good.

that looks very nice. Thanks for the pictures

Hey Crystal,

I have a question about the humidity in your terrariums. I noticed that there is no top on either of them yet from your hydrometer it looks like you have around 60%? Or did I read it wrong? I have never had a terrarium, but is this normal humidity for a terrarium without a some kind of top, or are you doing something special because 60% seems kind of high to me...or maybe I just don't know what the heck I'm talking about. But ya anyways I'm thinking of starting my own soon so ya that why I'm asking...thanks for any replies!!

Zach

Thanks guys for the kind words :).

Zach,

You read it right. It was around 60% when the picture was taken. At night it ranges around 80-90%. During the day the humidity drops slowly to around 50%. I"m not doing anything special at all. They are both completely uncovered. When I first set the terrariums up, I had small pea gravel in the bottom and had the pots right on the gravel. That actually kept the humidity higher, around 70-80% during the day uncovered. The rocks where heavy, especially with the water added in the bottom and the pots were not high enough to suit me. I discarded the gravel and am now using the turned over pots with acrylic cut to fit. I just checked it right now at 12:25pm and the humidity is sitting at 55%. The humidity near the Neps would be higher, since they are lower. I haven't moved the hydrometer down there lately to see how high it stays there. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :).

Crystal

I need to sometime empty my 55 gallon into some shelfs but where the heck will the shelfs go ??? I'll also need to heat the thing too for my intermediates;closet shelfs work good but are not that humid but I have enough of those maybe large trays///
You have a nice indoor collection,I have one but there all babies mostly.

You're doing very well by them! :-D

Hi Crystal! That is very VERY nice!! Awesome setup!!

Jimscott your pings are doing great there quarter sized now and colorful :)

Back