What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. regia in a bog

I have a 20 foot by 6 foot bog i built in front of my house. I have added a variety of plants to the bog including heliamphora, Byblis gigantea, Drosophyllum, and tuberous Drosera (seasonally). I have been dying to try the D. regia, but i do not want to kill it. Has any one had any success growing regia in a bog? Does any one know what D. regias natural growing conditions are, for comparison?

You finally got a regea? Good deal! Also what about your heli, would it survive the winter? I would be afraid it would not survive here in GA.

My bog is under a roof, it gets good sun all day but it stays cool. The bog is also surrounded on three sides by assphault and the other side is the house so it will not freeze. I put the helis in the bog in November and they didnt do much all winter but all of them have put up 2 new pitchers in the past 2 months so i think they like it.
I think it is too hot in GA for helis.

yes you are right it is too hot here for them. I was more worried about the cold than the heat though.

Maybe you could try taking a leaf cutting of your regea and then planting that as an experiment plant.

You might want to talk to Bob Z. I do not know why but I seem to recall that he grows some in pots outside year round. But I may be associating his name with a different grower...

There's an excellent thread on Drosera regia cultivation on the ICPS board including a link to a trip report describing their natural habitat. Unfortunately I've been having problems accessing the board since last night so I can't provide a link.

As I recall BobZ is currently growing his in pots of live Sphagnum moss but I don't remember if they are in a greenhouse or outdoors.

K. I can get to the ICPS board from work or the server slowdown/hang has been resolved:

Try these:

http://icps.proboards105.com/index.cgi?board=drosera&action=display&thread=1011&page=1
http://icps.proboards105.com/index.cgi?board=drosera&action=display&thread=1099

Last edited:
Thanks NaN. I looked for the info in the ICPS but did not find it, obviously i looked in the wrong place.
I think my conditions are very similar to the natural growing conditions. The only problem i see is i do not have as high of humidity in my bog as in the wild, but i am going to try putting the regia in a corner beside a claw foot bath tub converted into a turtle pond, the humidity is highest there and the heated water acts as thermal mass keeping the temp a little better. I hope this works but just in case it does not i am leaving the regia in its pot so it can be quickly returned to the terrarium.

Back