What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I warm up my terrarium?

So, I recently had to open my terrarium for awhile and the warmth escaped. Now, I have a problem, it usually got up to 80, but now it only get to, like, 70, 71 degrees? Then at night, it gets below 65! I need help if this is going to continue to hold Jimmy (my baby ceph), my P. primuliflora, I guess my U. dichotoma, and I guess my D. capensis. How might I warm it up besides using a heating pad or a very hot cup of water that will fog everything up.

Capensis,

It seems like you must have changed something when you opened it for a while. It doesn't really make sense that it used to be around 80, but now stays around 70. Is there anything that you possibly accidentally changed while moving stuff around? And if not I'm not sure what to tell you...possibly make the terrarium more enclosed to help trap in the heat? Get more lights?

Zach

Usually the problem is cooling, not heating.... The first thing that comes to mind is moving the lights closer to the aquarium, this is a great way to control temps and the closer the light the better. another method that will work during the day and night is a jar of water with a aquarium heater in it, this method is most effective in semi enclosed applications. I had a similar problem in my Ping tank, i put a piece of plexi glass on the tank and left a gap along the front edge, i increased the gap to decrease heat and humidity and decreased the gap to increase humidity and heat. I have found that having a top on my aquariums is better than fully open because the plants like the humidity, it keeps the tanks warmer when the lights are out, and i have to water a lot less frequently.
you could also use a heat mat for terrariums or plant trays.

Capensis,

It seems like you must have changed something when you opened it for a while. It doesn't really make sense that it used to be around 80, but now stays around 70. Is there anything that you possibly accidentally changed while moving stuff around? And if not I'm not sure what to tell you...possibly make the terrarium more enclosed to help trap in the heat? Get more lights?

Zach

I don't know either. I guess I have to slowly let it go up, but I'm not sure. Right now it's like 68 or something and it's very annoying, but I think I got an idea. I can get very hot water, but cover the thing so it only radiates heat. I can't think of anything else though, it's so confusing.

How about an aquarium heater in a glass Prego spaghetti sauce jar or a submercible heater in a water bath setup?

I suggest a simple heating pad on a timer and surge-protector. :)

I suggest a simple heating pad on a timer and surge-protector. :)

Maybe, but I'm not going to bother going to who-knows-where and buying and using it until it gets to the temp I want and done. I need to do something that will heat it up, but won't really be a waste, you know, something that can be done with household items.

Back