What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This may be a dumb question to some of you, but please bear with me.

I have D adelae, D capensis (one red, one typical), and lowland Nep in a terrarium. I also have some flytraps next to, but not in, the terrarium.

My question is, are the plant & aquarium fluorescents much better for my CP's? I'm considering swapping.

My current lights seem to be OK - my sundews have dew, one of the adelae's has turned burgundy, my Nep is producing new pitchers, and my fly traps are turning pink and making new traps. The red capensis hasn't grown since I got it almost two weeks ago but has some dew - think it might want some bugs.

Currently I have six:
GE EcoLux Daylight (6500K, 75 CRI, 3050 lumens, 40W, 48" T-12) ($6.98 for a 2-pack)
Description: "House of Shop or anywhere natural light is desired"

I could switch (all six or just three) to:
GE EcoLux Plant & Aquarium (no color temp specified, 90 CRI, 1900 lumens, 40W, 48" T-12) ($9.98 per bulb)
Description: "Designed to promote plant growth & flowering, produces light rich in reds and blues"
Considering the description, I assume it's a mix of something like 6500K and 3100K

I'm not concerned at all with flowering. I'm concerned with leaf/trap/pitcher growth and "healthy" coloration.

I also wonder if the plant lights will run much hotter than the daylight 6500K's.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I would stay with the bulbs you have. You want the more lumens. I could be wrong so someone will come by and help you out too.

Thanks for the response J.

No one knows for sure?

6500K / 75 CRI/ 3050 lumens

vs.

Plant & aquarium (no K specified) / 90 CRI / 1900 lumens

Anyone?

when you see a plant light with a high CRI rating that tells you it is a broad spectrum halo phosphor type, basically nothing more then a broad spectrum daylight bulb with a plant bulb price (hence the reason no K value is given, otherwise it would be obvious). A true tri phosphor growlight will have very low lumens and CRI due to the fact it is not designed for human vision but for plants... a good Sylvania tri phosphor gro-lux (non wide spectrum) has only a 1350 lumen rating, yet grows plants incredibly well. Basically what you are trying to compare is a daylight halo phosphor wide spectrum to what I would guess is a typical tri-phosphor daylight, neither of which is a "true" plant light

so of the two which is better you ask... well there is a great website on that very subject, search for my posting on " a great primer on plant lights", I posted the link to it there

"if" I had to select between those two... i would go for the tri-phosphor, less energy wasted in unneeded wavelengths, but for overall performance and aesthetics one of each may be the best option

Av

Back