What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland Greenhouse in Central California

Well, the cooler thing seems like it isn't working out all that well(Dad says it might "cost a fortune" to run it, though hope isn't all lost) so I'm thinking about turning the greenhouse into a lowland hothouse. The thing is, during the hottest part of summer it could get 110F-ish in there. Keeping it humid wouldn't really be a problem though.
Does anyone here have any advice? I'm worried it may be TOO hot even for more extreme lowlanders.
It would be great to hear from some members with more experience growing lowlanders.

Whether you want it hot or not, invest in vents, fans and a timing system. You won't be growing much of anything after a few days at 110 so you need something to flush in fresh air occasionally. Cooling the whole greenhouse probably is going to be hideously expensive, but if the air is dry outside in your area you could possibly use a swamp cooler to good effect and, if the temperatures are then manageable you could build a well-insulated highland enclosure inside with some sort of cooling. A whole greenhouse is a lot more space to cool than just a 2'x2'x4' case, which would be enough to grow plenty of strictly highland stuff. It would be expensive to put together, but is probably your best bet in the long run. What kind of outdoor conditions do you see around there?
~Joe

If your greenhouse is only 6x6x6, you might be able to find a smaller "windowsill" sized swamp cooler that would cost less.
Brian

Just as a quick example, something like this:
http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AF-315.htm
might work just as well

Thanks tbone! That looks great. Does anyone have anyone else have any input on how well it might work in my greenhouse? I want all the opinions I can get.

Back