Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lowland Greenhouse in Central California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lowland Greenhouse in Central California

Well, the cooler thing seems like it isn't working out all that well(Dad says it might "cost a fortune" to run it, though hope isn't all lost) so I'm thinking about turning the greenhouse into a lowland hothouse. The thing is, during the hottest part of summer it could get 110F-ish in there. Keeping it humid wouldn't really be a problem though.
    Does anyone here have any advice? I'm worried it may be TOO hot even for more extreme lowlanders.
    It would be great to hear from some members with more experience growing lowlanders.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you want it hot or not, invest in vents, fans and a timing system. You won't be growing much of anything after a few days at 110 so you need something to flush in fresh air occasionally. Cooling the whole greenhouse probably is going to be hideously expensive, but if the air is dry outside in your area you could possibly use a swamp cooler to good effect and, if the temperatures are then manageable you could build a well-insulated highland enclosure inside with some sort of cooling. A whole greenhouse is a lot more space to cool than just a 2'x2'x4' case, which would be enough to grow plenty of strictly highland stuff. It would be expensive to put together, but is probably your best bet in the long run. What kind of outdoor conditions do you see around there?
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The greenhouse is only around 6x6x6. This is the cooler I plan on using.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...10A&lpage=none
    Right now, according to weather.com, the humidity is 13%. We get 100F weather sometimes in the summer.

I've tried fans and opening it up and misters and everything, it simply doesn't work. I'll probably end up finding a way to help pay for the bill myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your greenhouse is only 6x6x6, you might be able to find a smaller "windowsill" sized swamp cooler that would cost less.
    Brian

Just as a quick example, something like this:
    http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AF-315.htm
    might work just as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks tbone! That looks great. Does anyone have anyone else have any input on how well it might work in my greenhouse? I want all the opinions I can get.