What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I thought I would post some pics of my bogs this spring. Most everything is in bloom now and pitchers are starting to opening. I didn't divide many plants this year as I wanted the bogs to look more full. I will post more pics once all of the pitchers are open.

DSCN1637.jpg

DSCN1638.jpg

DSCN1639.jpg

Pings and D. Filliformis with Leuco pitchers coming up
DSCN1643.jpg

Pings and D. Rotundifolia in sphagnum
DSCN1642.jpg

U. Subulata
DSCN1644.jpg

S. Red Blush
DSCN1640.jpg

Big S. Leah Wilkerson pitchers almost ready to open
DSCN1641.jpg

Nice!!! I like the Utric touch.

Awesome stuff. Make sure to update when your S. 'Leah Wilkerson's' open. The pings and utrics really add something special to the overall viewing pleasure. Did the U. Subulata start as one small plug and spread like wildfire or did you plant several patches? It looks pretty widespread.

xvart.

Thanks guys! I actually bought a small plug years ago when I was growing everything in pots. When I moved everything into the bogs, it hitched a ride on some of the plants and grows in every bog now but I don't mind. Like you said, it is kinda nice looking with all of the little yellow flowers. I will post more pics in a couple of weeks.

Great bogs bucky! thanks for sharin.

Wonderful looking bogs you have there. I love how organized and clean they are!

Is that a small Cephalotus I see in the background of the S. Red Blush picture?

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Did you plant your pings in accordance with your other plants? By this I mean, are they planted so they won't be completely over shaded by your pitcher plants? Just curious.

Crystal

Very nice.

AWESOME!

I'm gonna have to share with my better half...maybe get permission to upgrade mine!

Thanks! LLeopardGGecko no cephalotus. I think that is a Sabatia, it has very fragrant pink flowers.

Crissytal. Good question. The Pings are actually positioned so they won't be shaded out by the pitcher plants. BTW, I like your avatar. I have a Golden Retriever as well.

That's what I assumed. I just set up a couple bog gardens within the past couple of months and it took me awhile to figure out how I wanted to do everything so the lower growing species (VFT and Drosera) wouldn't get shaded out. It was my first time, and took awhile before I finally decided how I wanted it done. I'll probably still end up re-arranging eventually!

Thank you! Retrievers are such great dogs.

Take care,
Crystal

Nice. I need to do that one day.

Wes, Dude thats friqin awesome man!!! *drewling* ;-) Thanks for sharin'!! Keep us posted on its progress!

Really nice. I dig the gravel spots in the center of the bed for access - did you prep the whole rectangular plot with weedcloth or whatever and then build the beds in? I wish I had the time to put something like this into my yard... It's a rental though so it probably wouldn't do me a lot of good. :)
~Joe

Hey Joe! I killed the grass around where they were built and put black plastic down under the gravel. No weeds grow where the gravel is so I guess is serves as a good weed cloth!

AWESOME AWESOME!!!! thanks for sharing. Wow!

Wants to have a bog like Bucky when I grow up! Can it be done without extreme measures in MN?

Thanks Josh! What are your temps like in the winter?

Well this last year as I was watching it from down here in Ga, the lowest I seen was -10 Fahrenheit. Of course you have to factor in the wind chill. I am struggling with what I am going to do with my circ bog if I cannot fit it in the garage over the winter. The ground freezes from what my GF told me and there is a good bit of snow. I may try some cheep plants in a bog one year and see how they do, but my leah's and other rare plants that were gifted to me I do not want to take a chance on. I'm just scared as I have never grown in the MN environment before. I already know you have to mulch the crap out of it, but I just don't want it to become a real big to do every year.

Yeah, it might be a good idea to try some cheap ones first. I think that you would need to bury it in the ground and maybe that will help a little. I would be interested in knowing how it goes when you do try it though.

Fantastic Bucky!!! You realize you'll never get rid of the U. subdulata right??

Max

Back