What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first Greenhouse and a couple minibogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is the little GH, nothing special. just one of the 40 dollar growrack GH.
Greenhousesetup005-1.jpg

one of the mini bogs consisting of rescued plants from Lowes.
Sarracenia, Drosera, and Dionaea. the soil looks dry, but thats only on top because i had just moved them inside the little GH. they were out in full sun all day before hand.
Greenhousesetup001.jpg

here is the second mini bog, consisting of the same things.
Greenhousesetup002.jpg

here are a couple more pics of the same bogs. hopefully a little more clear. (more of a view of the sides of them, had no view point, just kinda stuck my hand in there xD)
CPs5-7-08002.jpg

CPs5-7-08003.jpg

hopefully it wont look so crowded once all of the etiolation clears up

Last edited by a moderator:
Why use a green house outdoors?

would be great indoors for lowland nepenthes or something but purps are like the most cold tolerant sarracenia.
sarracenia and flytraps are pretty cold tolerant they can take like 20F during dormancy.
After they adjust and grow some new leaves I would acclimate them out of that thing.

Be careful that it doesn't over heat. I have that same rack, I have never felt comfortable using the plastic covering outside.

Crystal

I would not use the covering outside either due to overheating.
And as JMurphy97 said, why use a greenhouse outside for Sarrs and VFT's?
The Drosera adelae will not like outside, in my experience. They do not like direct sunlight and high temperatures. They also do not require a dormancy as the Sarrs and VFT's will need.
I find that Drosera adelae grows best inside in a medium to bright location.

eek..small greenhouse in full sun outdoors = oven = cooked plants.

why do you need the greenhouse at all?
the plants would be much better off without it..

Scot

thats the thing, its been so cold here i didnt want anything to die. im aware of the overheating issue
this is why my hydro/thermometer is in there at the moment.
the high temperature in there today was 82ºF
so im going to keep an eye on it. plus, we have a squirrel issue D:

squirrels, deer, and raccoons...uhg

thats the thing, its been so cold here i didnt want anything to die. im aware of the overheating issue
this is why my hydro/thermometer is in there at the moment.
the high temperature in there today was 82ºF
so im going to keep an eye on it. plus, we have a squirrel issue D:

If its above 32 degrees, nothing will die.

I would still remove the greenhouse..your plants will do MUCH MUCH better outside the greenhouse than in it..its basically the same thing as growing your plants on the dashboard of your car, while your car is sitting in the sun, with all the windows rolled up.

if critters are a problem, a wire cage around the plants is better than the greenhouse.

everyone is just trying to help your plants! ;)
everyone agrees that greenhouse is no good..

Scot

And unless it's heated, its not going to raise the temperature at all on those nights when the temperature drops below freezing. If you get freezing temperatures a lot, then I would just take them inside when it gets that cold.

Plus if it rains you miss out on free water. I would use that indoors and get some lights to grow neps.

No offense but that Greenhouse as you call it is useless outdoors. Really it is. I has no insulating value and keep air cirulation off your plants.

its a growrack with a cover, i know. but its all i can do for now until summer when we build a GH.
i took the cover off but im going to be pissed of those animals start eating em...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back