After I was working on my grow shelf some this past week I went back and found some old photos of the "evolution" of my growing area. I thought this might be fun as a walk down memory lane, since I didn't post a ton of photos as I made improvements/modifications to my growing area.
For informational purposes, for my job I am provided an apartment on campus where I work. This doesn't leave me much in terms of opportunity to grow outside or get a greenhouse (hence why I mainly grow tropical plants). I could try outside, but with the 150 college students that walk by my outside door day and night, I am hesitant because of the potential "fertilizers" that may end up on my pots...
In this apartment, I first started with a windowsill. Obviously not adequate enough space or lighting for my needs, I quickly converted one of my storage areas above a closet in my guest bedroom to a "growing area," such as it was. I used some vendor boxes and rested some 4' shoplight fixtures on them (not even attached to anything).
Obviously, not sufficient enough space or access (since I had to stand on a chair to get above the closet to water and admire).
I finally caught my wife in a great mood while at Lowe's and bought the shelving unit that many people use. I bought some more shoplight fixtures and setup for two shelves.
Now that several of my Nepenthes have matured and grown (both horizontally and vertically, I needed more space. So over the past week I've been converting them to larger pots, and hanging them from the upper shelf. This takes up considerably more space, and hopefully sometime this summer I'll add another shelf of lighting. I had to move the upper shelf up, too. I'm thinking of hanging my pot of U. humoldtii if I can make it happen!
From left to right: N. Red Dragon, N. Kohala, N. Sabre, N. alata "boshiana mimic", N. truncata, and N. Black Dragon.
Thanks for the pictures, Josh! lol. I just had to throw it in since I haven't gotten it hung, yet.
Now, because of the space limitations, I've had to stack some pots... I forgot to buy a couple more pots to hang my N. Red Dragon and N. Caesar, so once I do that, I should have a little more space.
And just some group shots after the rearranging:
Thanks for looking. Can't wait for a few years from now so I can post the assembly of a greenhouse.
Next on the "to-do" list:
- Add two more lights to current shelves;
- Add another shelf of lighting;
- Mylar siding; and,
- More plants.