What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Never Ending Story - the Evolution of a Growing Space

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
Gang,

After I was working on my grow shelf some this past week I went back and found some old photos of the "evolution" of my growing area. I thought this might be fun as a walk down memory lane, since I didn't post a ton of photos as I made improvements/modifications to my growing area.

For informational purposes, for my job I am provided an apartment on campus where I work. This doesn't leave me much in terms of opportunity to grow outside or get a greenhouse (hence why I mainly grow tropical plants). I could try outside, but with the 150 college students that walk by my outside door day and night, I am hesitant because of the potential "fertilizers" that may end up on my pots...

In this apartment, I first started with a windowsill. Obviously not adequate enough space or lighting for my needs, I quickly converted one of my storage areas above a closet in my guest bedroom to a "growing area," such as it was. I used some vendor boxes and rested some 4' shoplight fixtures on them (not even attached to anything).

closet3-jan252007.jpg

Obviously, not sufficient enough space or access (since I had to stand on a chair to get above the closet to water and admire).

I finally caught my wife in a great mood while at Lowe's and bought the shelving unit that many people use. I bought some more shoplight fixtures and setup for two shelves.

DSCN3468.jpg

Now that several of my Nepenthes have matured and grown (both horizontally and vertically, I needed more space. So over the past week I've been converting them to larger pots, and hanging them from the upper shelf. This takes up considerably more space, and hopefully sometime this summer I'll add another shelf of lighting. I had to move the upper shelf up, too. I'm thinking of hanging my pot of U. humoldtii if I can make it happen!

GrowShelf-51008.jpg

From left to right: N. Red Dragon, N. Kohala, N. Sabre, N. alata "boshiana mimic", N. truncata, and N. Black Dragon.
Thanks for the pictures, Josh! lol. I just had to throw it in since I haven't gotten it hung, yet.

Now, because of the space limitations, I've had to stack some pots... I forgot to buy a couple more pots to hang my N. Red Dragon and N. Caesar, so once I do that, I should have a little more space.

GroupShot2-51008.jpg

And just some group shots after the rearranging:
GroupShot1-51008.jpg

GroupShot5-51008.jpg

Thanks for looking. Can't wait for a few years from now so I can post the assembly of a greenhouse.

Next on the "to-do" list:
  • Add two more lights to current shelves;
  • Add another shelf of lighting;
  • Mylar siding; and,
  • More plants.

xvart.

Last edited:
Wow Xvart! You have really come a LONG way from when you first started with your above the closet setup. You really have an amazing collection, and someday I wish to have one as big and nice as yours. Right now I've just got my Sanguina and Ventricosa, and hopefully a Maxima if my cutting survives. How long has it been from your first setup until what you have now?

Zach

Looking good bud! About time you upgraded (aka about time your wife was in a good mood? hehe) Any guesses on when the next "catch" will be? 3years? also, that spray bottle you have... (the clear one with flowers around it and a yellow spray head) has got to be the best one ever! I've been using that bottle for like 4 years, while others only last months...
Andrew

Great improvements xvart. I have some extra mylar if your interested, should have enough to cover the back and sides.

WOW. Looking good JC!!! And you have a Caesar too!!! Wow!! That is going to become a monster bro! I want a cutting when it basils :p

Looking good none the less! Exactly the types of shelves I want to use when I setup shop. So any recommendations on setup would be great.

Wow Xvart! You have really come a LONG way from when you first started with your above the closet setup. You really have an amazing collection, and someday I wish to have one as big and nice as yours. Right now I've just got my Sanguina and Ventricosa, and hopefully a Maxima if my cutting survives. How long has it been from your first setup until what you have now?

Zach

Hi Zach - thanks! Yes, it certainly has evolved. Where there's a will, there's a way! It's been about a year and a half since I moved from the closet. It really is funny after talking to lots of people and the way we rearrange our lives to accomodate our needs and wants for these plants. I remember after setting up those lights in the closet, standing on a dining room chair, and thinking, "man, this is the coolest thing since sliced bread!" lol.

You really have an amazing collection, and someday I wish to have one as big and nice as yours.

I wouldn't necessarily say big, but thanks anyways. With space constraints, it's all about finding and trading for the plants that are most satisfying. You know, the plants that complete me as a person, lol.

Any guesses on when the next "catch" will be? 3years?

lol, yeah who knows. I think as long as I keep doing it in small pieces I can get away with anything...

also, that spray bottle you have... (the clear one with flowers around it and a yellow spray head) has got to be the best one ever! I've been using that bottle for like 4 years, while others only last months...

Yeah, it's awesome. For those of you who want a closer look...

Misc51105-003.jpg

lol!

I have some extra mylar if your interested, should have enough to cover the back and sides.

Definitely! Let's chat.

WOW. Looking good JC!!! And you have a Caesar too!!! Wow!! That is going to become a monster bro! I want a cutting when it basils :p

Yeah, I'm excited about it. I just got it in the mail, as a valentine's day gift from my wife. She got it shipped later because the weather has been so unpredictable the last couple of months. I hope it turns out to be one that resembles N. merrilliana. Only time will tell! Once this bad girl (hopefully, lol) gets bigger it will probably be time to upgrade the growing area some more.

Exactly the types of shelves I want to use when I setup shop. So any recommendations on setup would be great.

It's the standard Lowe's shelving unit. Most people have six lights per shelf, and as mentioned, I intend to add another set to each shelf in the coming... months... lol. I use the two light fixtures because when I started it looked like you could fit more than the 4 light fixtures. Let me know when you start and I'll help however I can.

AND, how could I forget! After being publically scolded by half the community (just kidding) for not having a better drip collector, I added some rudimentary trash bags underneath the shelf and poked holes where the water stood to drain into pots below. Not the greatest, since I used scotch tape, but it will suffice for the time being...

Misc51105-001.jpg

Misc51105-002.jpg

Cheers.

xvart.

Next on the "to-do" list:
  • Mylar siding; and,
  • More plants.

I traded for some mylar and got it about a month ago (thanks Jay!). I finally found the time and the motivation to put it up, and I have to say I'm disappointed in myself for not doing it sooner. I didn't have enough for both of the sides, but the difference already it outstanding.

Besides the obvious light reflection, mylar provides other benefits including being able to easily see pitchers growing in the back that I previously was unable to see.

GrowRack-7808001.jpg

GrowRack-7808002.jpg

GrowRack-7808004.jpg

Updated next on the "to-do" list:
  • More plants.

xvart.

Looks really great J.C. Is does growing your nep sideways help?lol

Looks really great J.C. Is does growing your nep sideways help?lol

Ha! I hope so. I'm following Rich's advice on trying to get it to form a basal by having the growth tip lower than the base of the plant. I just put it like that about a week ago so hopefully in a months time or so I'll see something.

xvart.

is that plant in the bottom picture tipped over ?
quick pick it up!

I had that chrome shelf you have there but it's now covered in rust because it's outside. I just got a heavy-duty plastic one from Lowes.

There's definitely a noticeable difference! I put mylar up on my rack about 2 months ago. I've just recently started putting mylar on my t12 light strips. They didn't have any kind of reflector. It's certainly work, but worth it! Your plants will love you for it.

Crystal

There's definitely a noticeable difference! I put mylar up on my rack about 2 months ago. I've just recently started putting mylar on my t12 light strips. They didn't have any kind of reflector. It's certainly work, but worth it! Your plants will love you for it.

But I want my plants to love me for who I am, and not what I can do for them!

xvart.

Hmm it sounds like you'll need to have a one on one with your plants; tell them how you feel. I'm sure you can work something out with them.

Crystal

Over the past couple of months I have been giving away most of my carnivorous plant collection, either through trades, give aways on the forum, giving away to memebers, or the NASC Auction. My main growing area is now just an empty room (which will soon be occupied by a new dog). I thought I would post this picture to finish off this chronology and evolution of a growing space.

As you may have seen me say in a few threads, this major downsize has occurred because I have not had the time to devote (and sadly, the desire) to my plants and I wanted to make sure they were in good, caring, and capable hands. It was also because I was anticipating moving this summer into a location that I did not know if I would have the room for them.

I have kept a small number of plants to grow in my office and around the house, and look forward to the time when I can start avidly growing again.

And so it goes, and so it goes. And the book says, "We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."

shelf.jpg

xvart.

*Sniffle, sniffle*... Such a sad ending!

But, in all seriousness, hopefully it's not the ending to your story. I hope you are able to grow CPs sooner rather than later, and will still be an active member here on TerraForums. :)

I don't think I've bought a plant in a long time, just been growing what I have. Oh and nice touch with the little cut off nep pitcher wedged in there. haha

Aww, that's kind of sad. I really hope you regain both interest and space someday.
Good luck, wherever life may take you!

Aww, that's kind of sad. I really hope you regain both interest and space someday.
Good luck, wherever life may take you!

*Sniffle, sniffle*... Such a sad ending!

But, in all seriousness, hopefully it's not the ending to your story. I hope you are able to grow CPs sooner rather than later, and will still be an active member here on TerraForums. :)

It is definitely not the end of my story. I still love CPs. If I was going to be moving it was going to be to either of the coasts, so I was really starting to get pumped for more temperate plants. I'm still going to stay involved in NASC and growing my few plants. AND, TerraForums is my home online, so I won't be going anywhere. Besides, I get paid too much to be a moderator...

I don't think I've bought a plant in a long time, just been growing what I have. Oh and nice touch with the little cut off nep pitcher wedged in there. haha
lol.

lol. Yeah, I'm having my maintenance guys move that shelving unit to another building and donating it to some storage closet. I wonder if the pitcher will make the journey and how many conversations it might inspire.

xvart.

That's kinda a bummer. =/

Hm, I wonder if getting a single 4x mount was wise. Putting up 6 1x mounts might be smarter... Cause I can't imagine fitting 2 4x mounts on that thing. ;)

Back