What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

big new terrarium

laxgoal

I Like Watching Things Grow...
ok so i got this 40 gal tank (3ft long) right now due to the number of plants i only have 2 40 watt phillips indoor plant bulbs and a couple 30 watt fixtures.... i dont really know what im gonna do for permanent lighting... help me out! i need some good suggestions....

terrarium001.jpg

terrarium002.jpg

Very nice! I have those exact same lamps!

Honestly, in my opinion that lighting is fine...I see no reason to get more lighting than that. Everything I've read says get more lighting, but my recently set up terrarium is about 2 1/2 feet long, and I use a two foot double fixture with a sunlight bulb and a soft white bult around 5 inches from my plants, and they are growing fine for me. I am in no right experienced at all, but my set up works just fine for me so...meh. Heres some pics
DSCN3723.jpg

DSCN3724.jpg

DSCN3725.jpg

Zach

Nice setups. Lax - I would replace those two individual lamps with another shop light, but more for aesthetics, and especially if it is just a normal incandecent bulb in those lamps.

CPEnthusiast - do you keep the peat in the bottom of your aquarium to hold water and keep humidity high? Or as a way to keep the pots wicking up water without sitting in a tray of water? Or both?

xvart.

Hey Xvart,

That is actually LFS at the bottom of my terrarium, and not pure peat. Theres first a layer of some pebbles, and then theres the LFS on top of that. I actually wanted my terrarium to look somewhat natural, and I am so new to growing CP's that I don't have a stock of live LFS, so I decided to stick the dead stuff in there in hopes that it would come alive and start looking green. However, at the same time I knew it would raise the humidity in the terrarium if I kept it moist, and at the time that I took those pictures I had just watered pretty heavily so that is mostly just drainage that you see...the water level is not usually that high. I've read that Neps do not like to be on the "tray method" so I'm not sure if they actually like that water wicking up through their pots, but so far I haven't noticed any problems, and over the course of a couple of days all that excess water will evaporate until my next watering.

Zach

Dear Zach,

Thanks for the info. I should have taken a closer look, lol. My opinion would be the Nepenthes will be fine, since I don't think a significant amount of water will be soaked up that way since very little contact is being made between the LFS and the soil composition in the post through the holes.

Do you pour water in the pots and let it drain into the LFS or do you water the LFS too? Just wondering.

xvart.

oh those lamps are both 30 watt floros that i used in my old 10 gal. would lining the bottom of the terrarium with pebbles increase my humidity because i think im gonna need more and i got have a closed lid

nice lax, my terrarium is a converted 30 gallon, i wish i had more space to grow my plants.
all of my temperate plants are outside except my Dionaea seedlings.
Terrarium5-26-08001.jpg

Terrarium5-26-08002.jpg

Terrarium5-26-08003.jpg

Hey Xvart,

Ya I just pour the water into all of the pots and it ends up draining into the LFS. The funny thing is that this terrarium is obviously inside, yet my LFS is sprouting tons of little unknown weeds / plants, so there must have been tons of hitchhikers in my supply of dried LFS, but I actually kind of like it because it adds some of that "natural" feel that I'm going for with my terrarium.

Zach

zach be careful thos hitchhikers could be algae

I've had much success with those clamp on lights with 100w CFL bulbs in them, but they have a much more limited area of coverage.

zach be careful thos hitchhikers could be algae
they could also be other CP. many have found sundews growing on their LFS

I have that exact tank that I'm temperalily using as a terrarium. Its the one for reptiles that comes with a mesh screen and a slidding top right?

I removed the screen and cut a plexiglass panel and then glued it to th eslidding frame so that I have a top that closes but still lets light though. Also allowing humidity to build up. It works great allowing humidity to stay in the 80's and 90's.

converted aquariums are the answer haha, I'm using a 20 gallon right now for my plants I flipped it on its side however so that I get more horizontal use than I would if I just used it with the open top facing up. which allows for the lights to be closer and more space for cp's the glass in between also keeps my CFLS from overheating the tank. I put in a 4 inch fan and I use shrink wrap over the front so I have easy access and can see through all the time. it keeps humidity and temps up and where I need them. about 80 degrees and 85% humidity in the daytime... I need a bigger tank though :)

wow jess you are a genious.

thats actually a really good idea!

Back