Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Watering System

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.moddersmart.com/index.php...oduct_id=30265

One of these barb fittings might do the trick. Never used one though, so not sure how snug they get. Try it out! It's only carpet.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Xvart,

Um I have absolutely no experience in this, but I have an idea, but I have no idea if it will work. This idea requires buying nothing new, if it actually works, so you might like it. Just have your bucket of water up top like you do now, and run the tubing across the top of each pot you want to water, and secure the tubing onto the pots so the tubing does not move. Have the end of the tubing pour back into your bucket so that it recirculates. At each pot, go to the tubing that is running across the top and just make a very small puncture in it so that a very small stream comes out. Hopefully when the pump forces the water through the tubing, some will come out of the very small hole while the majority moves through the pipe onto the next holes, and whatever is left over is recirculated into the bucket. If this actually does work, it might take a while to actually water the whole pot since the stream is so small...but it would probably get the job done. So ya I dunno if that made any sense to you, and it probably won't work, but if it does, there ya go!!!

Just my crazy thought/idea!

Zach

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr Flytrap 2, that is a very nice setup. I have thought of doing something similar to that. Infact, I may indeed do something like that. Many times having seen the MISTKING website, I have wanted to get one of those systems. But it is easily made at a significantly lower price when you DIY. All we need to find is the correct nozzles and a powerful pump and we should be good to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I woudl just get a better water pump, maybe something pressure rated but not even really I just like over kill, just something that can pump more GPH at a higher head.

Quote Originally Posted by CPEnthusiast View Post
    Hey Xvart,

Um I have absolutely no experience in this, but I have an idea, but I have no idea if it will work. This idea requires buying nothing new, if it actually works, so you might like it. Just have your bucket of water up top like you do now, and run the tubing across the top of each pot you want to water, and secure the tubing onto the pots so the tubing does not move. Have the end of the tubing pour back into your bucket so that it recirculates. At each pot, go to the tubing that is running across the top and just make a very small puncture in it so that a very small stream comes out. Hopefully when the pump forces the water through the tubing, some will come out of the very small hole while the majority moves through the pipe onto the next holes, and whatever is left over is recirculated into the bucket. If this actually does work, it might take a while to actually water the whole pot since the stream is so small...but it would probably get the job done. So ya I dunno if that made any sense to you, and it probably won't work, but if it does, there ya go!!!

Just my crazy thought/idea!

Zach

that would still have the problem of the siphon just instead of it coming through the large hole it would just slowly drip out the small punctures...
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I had a brainstorm late last night around 1:30 am. My thought process was revolving around the water not going down the second tube. Could it be the way I had the Tee Joint configured? So I got out of bed and turned the Tee Joint so it wasn't a straight line with a junction splitting off from there. Now, the main tube from the pump ends, and it splits two ways, forcing the water to go either one way or the other.

ATTEMPT ONE:

<============<"PUMP"
    ......||
    ......||
    ......||
    ......\/

ATTEMPT TWO:

/\
    ||
    ||
    ||===========<"PUMP"
    ||
    ||
    ||
    \/

It seems so obvious that I should have done this to begin with. Well, it worked with one branch, with fairly even and regular flow from both tubes.

This morning I split both of those tubes again, in the same manner. I had irregular flow from three of the tubes, but enough water to practically water three plants. Since I was working quickly and just testing it the tubes were neither uniform in length nor flat/circular shape of the tubing.

Something to think on during the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Flip_Side_the_Pint View Post
    Honestly I woudl just get a better water pump, maybe something pressure rated but not even really I just like over kill, just something that can pump more GPH at a higher head.
    Based on what I've discovered today, I think I may take my pump back and get one like you suggest to see how it works pumping more water through the tubing. I know this is still neither optimal nor perfect, but it might serve in the interim quite well. Another option would be to get some cheap valves and not allow water to run through alll the tubes at once, limiting to two at once.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with the other configuration, you'll run into problems unless the tubing is a different size than the pump tubing. You have to have a reduction at some point in order to build pressure, resulting in water in all tubes instead of just one or two.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, ( you probly already know this but...) remember to make all the tubing the same length so you have even flow out of all of them. If not the system will be prone to having a greater flow of water out of the shorter tubing and less to non out of the longer tubes.
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip_Side_the_Pint View Post
    also, ( you probly already know this but...) remember to make all the tubing the same length so you have even flow out of all of them. If not the system will be prone to having a greater flow of water out of the shorter tubing.

Another good reason to have the manifold. The extra weight of tubing can pull plants down onto that clean carpet. Another thing to think about, with no regulation of each tube, you're going to get the same flow of water to a 4" pot as you are for a hanging basket. The manifold also has screw adjustments for each tube to help with those issues.
    My Grow List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast