What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Alley

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
This spring I've been working on a location mainly for Sarra's and VFT's, in addition to them, I needed a place to go outside as well. Living in a downtown building this year, there is zero grass to run around and play in. Yet the building did have a crummy alley that had some space in it. So I figured, lets turn some lemons into lemons with carnivorous plants growing next to them! I'd say I'm about half finished, now starting to add plants to the area. A few pics show the security kits that I had to add to the plants in order to keep them from walking away.

Before picture:

After picture:

Plant bench:

Looks so empty! Plant donations are accepted.

Decor:

Note the bench and table are just made out of 2x4's screwed together and placed on cinder blocks. They can't cost more than $15 bucks each, are heavy, and can be used to secure plants to. The palm is sitting on a sewer panel that weighs about 80 lbs, and also has a security kit bolted to it.

So far the Sarra's have been enjoying their home as well as a B52 vft. So far the most difficult part has been understanding the sun patterns in the alley, since the other building is so close, I feel most of the alley is actually unusable for CP's. However I'm thinking of trying a few Neps in hanging baskets between the windows, as sun does hit the wall on sunny days.

Heres a view of some stuff growing on the bench, looking pretty happy:

If you're in the area, swing by, and we'll throw some things on the grill. Don't forget to join us 8-16 for a CP get together!

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=878933

Hope to see you guys there!
Nathan

WOW! Such a big change!

Nice job, you changed the entire atmosphere of the ally!
Now how are those plants going to get the full sun they need?

Well done! Nice way to turn around a back alley into something appealing!! But to find a better CP habitat, perhaps you might try to gain access to those rooftops and start a rooftop bog! - Just a suggestion. - Rich

The plant bench is actually in full sun, so there's no issue there. The shade problem comes past the gate, but anything back there is just kinda for relaxing, bbq's, other shade loving plants, etc.

Thank is fantastic, you took something non inviting and non relaxing or pleasing to the eye and turned it into something BEAUTIFUL and more relaxing, inviting and a pleasur to see and enjoy. AWSOME job!!!

Thank is fantastic, you took something non inviting and non relaxing or pleasing to the eye and turned it into something BEAUTIFUL and more relaxing, inviting and a pleasur to see and enjoy. AWSOME job!!!

Now all your thieves will have a nice place to relax and plan how to disassemble your security system! Nice area. I would defiantly hang out there.

xvart.

nice, but is there enough light for the plant's?

Great job! enjoy your new plant haven!

Nate there are some neps that would prefer the shadier condition I think. Folks correct me if I am wrong.

Looking good none the less. Those Sarrs will not last to long there in those planters though before they get filled. If I were you I would get the black utility tubs from Lowe's and plant thin in those. There will be more room to grow.

Back