What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All my plants are dying!!!

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
My entire collection is dying! Except for my Drosera Binata. My Pinguicula Primuiflora collection is about dead, and my pitcher plants have stopped growing all together. They haven't shot up a new leaf in months.

Indoors, my Nepenthes Ventricosa is in suspended animation (I repotted it a week or two ago), and my indoor Pinguicula Primuiflora is just being small (it seems to be doing okay, I guess).

I'm probably going to get eaten alive for what I'm about to say, but I'm going to let my collection die out. Since I'm away at college for most of the time, I'm not able to enjoy and care for my plants.

Therefore, I'm going to keep it simple. Once my collection is gone, I'm just going to grow a Mexican butterwort in my dorm and that's it. I'll start a mini-greenhouse when I'm out of college.

Yeah? ???

So you are just letting us know that your collection is dying and not asking for help? :slap:
Send them my way =)

I have my own apt., going to college, working fulltime, and still have enough time for a terrarium full of neps and an aquarium. Since I dont have much time for them I just keep things simple and automated. The lights are on a timer, I water every few days, and I mist maybe 2x a day: once in morning and once at night. Everything on my growlist has been growing happily besides 1 from a new shipment that I am having replaced. Only keep what your parameters can keep healthy.

If you want to save them give us your day and night avg. temp and humidity. What type, how much, and photoperiod do you have for lighting. How often do you water. if you have any airflow. . . maybe a pic . . etc
You can do iT!

So you are just letting us know that your collection is dying and not asking for help? :slap:
Send them my way =)

I have my own apt., going to college, working fulltime, and still have enough time for a terrarium full of neps and an aquarium. Since I dont have much time for them I just keep things simple and automated. The lights are on a timer, I water every few days, and I mist maybe 2x a day: once in morning and once at night. Everything on my growlist has been growing happily besides 1 from a new shipment that I am having replaced. Only keep what your parameters can keep healthy.

If you want to save them give us your day and night avg. temp and humidity. What type, how much, and photoperiod do you have for lighting. How often do you water. if you have any airflow. . . maybe a pic . . etc
You can do iT!

Here's my outdoor collection (before I took out the tree)
(S. Flava, S. Rubra, S. Purpurea, D. Binata, and Pinguicula) :
thisone7.jpg

They've been growing fine, but once I repotted all the plants, they all suddenly started dying. Then again, I live outside Tampa, Florida where it's 95 degrees most of the day, so I think it's too hot for the plants.

Edit: I'm going to try and get updated pics next week.

It's not too hot.

If you plan on letting them die, instead of letting them go to waste, you should give them away for the cost of shipping, or trade them for other Mexican Pinguicula since you say you do well with it.

You may as well do as Clint suggests as you'll probably get flooded with "GIMME-GIMME" messages anyway.

and my pitcher plants have stopped growing all together. They haven't shot up a new leaf in months.

The phrase "haven't shot up a new leaf in months." is quite telling! ;)
did they have a proper winter dormancy last winter?
they shouldnt have been growing at all November-March, because they were dormant,
and they should have started growing again in March-April..

If they didnt get a cool/dark dormancy last winter, they are probably dying because of that..

I agree, just give the plants away!
shipping them "bare root" (out of their pots, with no media) isnt very expensive..
just ask people to cover the cost of postage, and the plants can (maybe) be saved..

Scot

D. binata also grows well at a window sill. Low maintenenance plant.

My recent CP slaughter happened when the water vending machine that I was using to fill my bottles turned out to have really hard water. The plants have been great since switching sources. Perhaps there is one little variable in your set up that can easily be changed.

Besides offering them for trades or shipping, there is this auction starting up in a few days, although it sounds like they might not have another month in this world to wait until the end of the auction.

I'm sure you could contact somebody in the Florida CP Society: http://www.floridacarnivorousplantsociety.org
and someone will drive up and take them off your hands without any effort on your part, and maybe return them to you when you're ready to get back into them again. Just a thought. - Rich

If the Ventricosa was only repotted a week or two ago, it's probably still in transplant shock. I would give it some more care and it will probably start growing again.

-Max

So you have your sarrs growing in thew same pot as that maple? Did it happen to get fertilized? Sarrs also like to say wet. I have a pump set to water mine every hour all day and night. They stay wet. I am sure if you kept the maple wet it wouldn't like it. So Just exactly how are you trying to keep the,?

Agreed. In fact, I was about to paste it in here, and saw I failed to notice you had it already. Swing- and -a miss, lol.
Brian Barnes is a great guy. Give them to the CP Society, and when you are settled in, I bet you can replace them rather easily with the friends you have made.

Cheers,

Joe

That's a great suggestion, Rich.

xvart.

So you have your sarrs growing in thew same pot as that maple? Did it happen to get fertilized? Sarrs also like to say wet. I have a pump set to water mine every hour all day and night. They stay wet. I am sure if you kept the maple wet it wouldn't like it. So Just exactly how are you trying to keep the,?

I replanted all the plants in the past couple of weeks. Yes, I took out the maple tree. But yeah, as of now, all my P. Primuifloras have passed (except for 2 that I've kept indoors). Everything else is just in suspended animation.

I guess I'll let them grow and such. After all, they were growing fine until I repotted them. I guess they're just in shock.

In other news, I'm about to purchase a P. Moranesis. I'm going to keep that indoors under my lamp.

I replanted all the plants in the past couple of weeks. Yes, I took out the maple tree. But yeah, as of now, all my P. Primuifloras have passed (except for 2 that I've kept indoors). Everything else is just in suspended animation.

I guess I'll let them grow and such. After all, they were growing fine until I repotted them. I guess they're just in shock.

In other news, I'm about to purchase a P. Moranesis. I'm going to keep that indoors under my lamp.

what kind of media are you growing them in, any potting mix will slowly and painfully kill them.

what kind of media are you growing them in, any potting mix will slowly and painfully kill them.

Pure peat moss. I'm keeping it very wet.

what are u doing in college that u dont have 5 minutes to spare? hmm? :banana2:

what are u doing in college that u dont have 5 minutes to spare? hmm? :banana2:

Well, I leave the big pot back at the house, so I'm unable to care for it when I'm away for two semesters. All I can hope for is that the rain is enough to water it.

maybe a friend or family member then?

Back