Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling the Grow room growers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok Then. I will definately look into t-5 fixtures and bulbs then. Might end up using a combination of t-5's and t-8's so I can spread the cost out a little bit.

Jess, I will have mainly orchids and seedlings on the racks. That is why I am wanting to have rack by rack by rack that i will have to move to get to each selve system to fit more in the space. Because I will have to have an area for vining nepenthes obviously, not the entire room would be for shelves. A MH light might be feasable there, but at this time I was more concerned about the flour. MH are a no brainer, but they are energy suckers.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    Would this fuxture work good on this shelving system? The fixture is only 10" wide according the the dimensions and 47" long. It should fit in between the shelving uprights since the shelve is 48" long. I am just concerned it is not wide enough for the shelves. Since they are 18" wide. Am I making a big deal about nothing? Will the plants on the shelve below get the amount of light needed? I was also looking at this fixture it is 49" long but should fit in between the shelving rails from front to back. It is slick looking It is wider than the other fixture and I am thinking it would be better for the shelving rack I want to use.

The fixture is not that bad priced wither at $129 and that comes with two 6500K bulbs and two 3000K bulbs for growing and flowering, or you can get all of one type if you want. I was thinking about ordering the monster kit that comes with 2 fixtures and a total of 16 bulbs for $280.

Now keep in mind I am still just starting to research this stuff. Do t-5 HO fixture really put out more light than the t-8 counter part with the same amount of bulbs. Are they worth using over t-8's? Since I know t-8 bulbs and fixtures are relatively inexpensive at Wal-mart and Lowe's. Are these a good price for t-5 fixtures and bulbs?

I like the fact that is is just one fixture to hang under the shelve and it has all four lights in it. The add said it uses a high quality ballast that doesn't cold start the bulbs for improved lamp life. Where as the cheap fixtures may cold start or do not drive the lamps efficiently. This is all new to me and I am curious to know what other folks think of it.

Jess thank again for the link.

Thats the shelf that I use with 8 "Lights Of America" fixtures attached via zip ties. Two fixtures per level. Works great for me! Got a Sabre, jacq, eymae, ventricosa red, mirabilis, albo, and a few hybrid pitchers as well as sundews under them and they are all happy as can be!

That shelf is a great buy by the way. Super sturdy!

-J.P.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah we use those types of shelves at work and i have used them at a restaurant I used to work at too. I think I might start our with the t-8 bulbs because i will have to get the entire grow room started at one time, and then upgrade as I get funds in to do so. Thanks for the replys.
    JB

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh - sorry for jumping in here so late. I use standard T12 bulbs, four per shelf, but I have room for six and just haven't upgraded. They work well for me. I would go with T8 at the very least, except I have access to free T12 bulbs at my work. Whenever I move or change jobs, I'll most likely upgrade similar to what you are doing.

I'm pretty sure you've seen this already, but here is some information about my growing area.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing some photo pictorials of the project come next year.
    xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't get to read all the responses on here, so forgive me if I say something that has already been said, but I recommend T5 lights if heat won't be an issue. I was using all T5's at one point but I have since made some of my tanks T-12's only (for plants that can't stand warm days). I like the Home Depot kind that sell for like 9$ because I can fit 3 fixtures (6 - 4ft. bulbs), on the grow racks we have come to know so well in this hobby (from Lowe's). Still, I have noticed the coloring on my plants has started to suffer from the decreased light. 4 bulb T5 lights are still better than 6 bulbs of T-12's. You could also use a metal halide light, or even a high pressure sodium lamp with a conversion bulb, but the heat output from these things is horrendous. I had a couple 600 watt fixtures and the heat is just unbearable.

Anywho, I have since decided to go big or go home, and will be starting up a 12x10x11 ft greenhouse fairly soon. I will also be writing up a little tutorial documenting my problems and responses along the way. With a fatty swamp cooler blasting away, I should get all the light I need and just the right temps .

Daniel
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is a GH in MN is going to be a bear to heat in the winter. But I may end up giving it a try eventually.

I think I am going to use a combo of t-8 and t-5 bulbs. It will be in the basement so hoping the temps stay good. I am thinking about using a GH cooler to cool the room instead of shunting it outside and returning outside air.
    JB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh,

avoid that light you are looking at, if you notice the reflector is nothing more then one flat piece of polished aluminum. It is an overpriced POS, this defeats the main advantages of the T5 format

here is a 6 bulb T5 with the individual 95% parabolic style reflectors and programmed start ballast for 159!!!, they also have a 4 bulb for 129

I can personally recommend these, I have em both and love em... but be prepared for heat my friend, making the leap to T5 is much more then just installing the fixture.

When I first installed mine, I then had to install some means of cross ventilation, then the added ventilation dropped the humidity, so I had to add humidification.. etc etc etc, they are not for the faint of heart, but omg what energy levels and canopy penetration LOL

cause and effect mate....more energy equals more heat more heat equals lower relative humidity etc etc etc, plus I also included 2 fans on 2 separate power supplies for redundancy failsafe sake

the mother of T5 lighting deals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Av, I think you just sold me on your recommended one, instead of getting a SylverStar T5 fixture. $100 bucks less and same lumen output.

Now on the link you sent, do you think it's okay to use the bulbs they ship it with? Or should I think about changing them to something else?
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast