Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bog Garden in Arizona?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you in Arizona? Are you in a high desert area or a low desert area?

If you are in the extremely hot low desert region, you would probably have better luck keeping subtropical dews outside for the winter and then bringing them in for the summer. Most commonly available subtropical dews are from mediterranean climates in australia and south africa where summer days are hot, but are ballanced out with cool nights. They are tolerant of low humidity, but dislike extended periods of extreme heat, especially at night. If you are having stretches of 75f+ night temps, subtropicals are better off indoors under lights or on a windowsill. Most can take extreme heat during the day fine if kept wet, however.

Sarracenia and Venus Flytraps can probalby stay outdoors year-round if they are always kept moist. In a desert environment, they would probably benefit from sitting in standing water in the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are going to be buying a house in Maricopa, which is about 30min south of phoenix.. so i would assume low desert region

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to Dionaea and various Sarracenia, I also grow D. filiformis out here in Mojave. It grows well, but drinks lots of water. I have found that in order to keep it dewy, it needs to be waterlogged. Sometimes, that won't even cut it when humidity is too low, though.
    -Joel from Southern California

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12