What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Garden in Arizona?

Just moved to Arizona and want to start a bog garden in my backyard. I do realize the low humidity and hot weather will prove difficult to provide a variety of plants but what plants are more forgiving of such extreme conditions?

Thanks!

VFTs! So long as you can keep them wet, they'll love you for all that heat. I can't remember his name here on the forum, but there was one guy by the name of Steve in AZ or NM who used to post a year or so ago and had a spectacular VFT collection. By the sound of it, they were pretty easy for him.
~Joe

yeah so Sarrs and VFT's sound like the way to go

Yeah, several of the warm-temperate 'dews might work; D. binata is another in that group. With plants as vigorous as D. capensis or binata you might want to put them in their own separate containers, because they'll spread out and crowd smaller plants like VFTs.
~Joe

I have a couple of them already.. I guess ill start it off with some sarrs I just ordered and the cape's and see how it turns out

Where are you in Arizona? Are you in a high desert area or a low desert area?

If you are in the extremely hot low desert region, you would probably have better luck keeping subtropical dews outside for the winter and then bringing them in for the summer. Most commonly available subtropical dews are from mediterranean climates in australia and south africa where summer days are hot, but are ballanced out with cool nights. They are tolerant of low humidity, but dislike extended periods of extreme heat, especially at night. If you are having stretches of 75f+ night temps, subtropicals are better off indoors under lights or on a windowsill. Most can take extreme heat during the day fine if kept wet, however.

Sarracenia and Venus Flytraps can probalby stay outdoors year-round if they are always kept moist. In a desert environment, they would probably benefit from sitting in standing water in the summer.

We are going to be buying a house in Maricopa, which is about 30min south of phoenix.. so i would assume low desert region

In addition to Dionaea and various Sarracenia, I also grow D. filiformis out here in Mojave. It grows well, but drinks lots of water. I have found that in order to keep it dewy, it needs to be waterlogged. Sometimes, that won't even cut it when humidity is too low, though.

Back