What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radical Bog Idea

i have this passive auto/passive refilling bog garden idea and I was wondering if this plan would work at all.

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/299/bogdesignsa0.png

will this plan even work at all? or end in failure, I don't know how this gravity thing or suction will pull the water to the required levels I want but, this is basically what I want. if this wont work, is there a design or modification that can be applied to make this work? I don't want any mechanical parts that need electricity because it just cannot happen in the situation I am in.

*image used with permission from creator/owner

its like the dog/cat bowls...

~b

well, theoretically speaking, will this even work at all? never mind what it looks like, its just a sketch, how deep should it be if I want a Sarracenia Purpurea in it, or maybe a couple more of them in it.

I think your going to have to fill it more than it is worth. That or its not going to drain at all because no air can get back in the bottle. Spend a little big on a fountain pump and a timer. then set it to fill every so often from a reservoir. It is like the dog and cat bowls, but they have an air lock with the water to keep it from dumping out. I think your water level will bee too high.

I have a circulating water bog. It uses 4 cement tubs that drain back into a reservoir. The pump is set to come on for an hr every other hr. The reservoir is 5 5 gallon buckets in tandem. I go through about 5 gallons of water in two days here in GA.

well, the problem is that, the place I live in, crime is always around the corner so, any nice things that they see out in the open, like in the back yard, they will take it, so I like to keep it simple and quiet. What can I do so that the water can drain and that it won't overflow? will adjusting the height of the pipe closer to the soil make it so that not as much water leaks out and will not overflow?

Information on circulating bogs can be found in this thread.

xvart.

if i were to have something that circulates, what kind of pump do i need? what soil composition do i need? should i use lava rocks and charcoal for the bottom?

This would work but if you are talking about a garden bigger then say a 20 gallon planter then you are talking about using 55gal drums as your water reservoir.
Do not listen to the people that say no air can get back in because what happens is the water level gets below the highest hole in your system and the air gets in allowing water to come out until the water level returns to its maximum height. You have to make sure that the system is completely sealed above above your desired water table.
The ultimate question is how big do you want to go?
If you are just looking to do a few sars then get a 20gal planter undrained or make it so. You wont have to water it so often as you may think. Heck pit a piece of 3" pvc down the center and you will be able to see the water table.

Back