Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plastic pools and other water tray substitutes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased 2 kiddie pools from ace hardware last year and about 2 weeks ago I went to get something and saw them there.
    You could also Build a box from 3/4" plywood and paint it good with fiberglass resin.

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with RCO911, cement mixing tubs about 3 feet by 4 feet do a better job than the kiddee pools. More bang for you buck so to speak. they are a little smaller jest as deep and made out of more durable plastic. last longer.@ strong people can move one unless of course you used sand in the mix
    jest put a couple of empty 5 " pots in the into the media . fill up the pots when you water, do this severaltimes until you are sure
    P's and ZC'sLifetime of kiddee pools in the sun about 3 yrs. collapse easily hold more plants.cost 9.99 at j_ l mart
    Lifetime cement mixing tubs 6 yrs holds less plant ,makes a gr8 protable bog and still goin strong. about 11.99 at da big box stores.
    If you live where it gets really like over 100 * hot, paint the outside with some white outdoor paint.
    My experience speaking here

I disagree with wild bill . although he is one heck of a cephalotus grower,I have found that the sterlite diintegrates too easily in the sun 1-2 yrs max for me.
    Lois
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Academy, i was just there yesterday and they have them stacked outside....

~b

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only got 1 year out of my sterilite tub.

cement tubs are a lot more durable.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll put my opinion in as well. I used the sterilite tubs and like others say, they do not hold up very long. I use the mortar mixing tubs with great success, but if you use them with short pots (like 4" pots) they're so deep that your plants get flooded. I use perlite in my mix, and that all floats out and I have to repot. I drilled a drainage hole about halfway up the side of the tub so it won't flood. If i need to leave for an extended period of time, say up to a week, I put wine corks in the holes so the tray will hold more water for while I'm gone and I move the smaller pots to more shallow pans like a cat litter box or something similar.

I also agree that the mortar mixing tubs make excellent bog gardens! Dwayne and I use them to grow irises, water hyacinths, lotuses, and grow out trays for small water lillies. They're excellent for growing U. gibba as well. U. gibba grows well anywhere, but in my experience it doesn't bloom well if it is floating. If it's affixed to some time of soil in shallow water, it blooms continuously. Our mortar tray of gibba is usually covered in yellow blooms during the summer.

Will

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12