Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is an acid test REALLY enough?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, flint/chert/jasper are all the same thing to some extent, depends on quality and so on. The real smooth flint type stuff you speak of is probably not the sort of thing you would find at a hardware place, it would most likely be on the rough side of things. I may go take a look for myself in the next week or two when I am looking for other things.

It is my guess that you might be satisfied with the sort of stuff that is considered gravel quality, but until we see, its up in the air.

This stuff would be about as leach proof as I could think of in terms of 'live' rock as you say.

As an alternative, some Granite gravel would be pretty good as well, it would be unlikely to do much and is made mostly of silica rich minerals. would be more plain for texture though. Slate gravel is kind of a crap shoot.

I did take a look at those stones in the aquarium shop, and I would be a bit hesitant, they use common names so its tough to tell what they are from the images. They even mention they can leech.

In general, the larger the particle or stone, the less leeching you can get. The ones I have mentioned are totally safe, but even a lot of the others would probably be fine. The problem with the carbonate ones is that the acid in the bog setups reacts with them to a greater extent. So, if you can track one of those I mentioned down, then your safe for sure, but otherwise I would not go crazy over it. I would still be careful about dark colored lava rocks though, and think that they best be avoided.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah! Look what I found. A french company called Aquaroche makes ceramic faux live rock. One version if for marine water, but there's a freshwater version that's neutral. Made from baked clay, and I must say that it really looks indistinguishable from dead live rock. They can even do custom stuff.

This is perfect. Check it.
    http://www.aziendanaturaviva.com/images/720X540cae.jpg

http://www.aquaroche.fr/gb/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, that solves the problem about as well as I could imagine without having to identify rocks either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12