Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ok for a mini bog?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok for a mini bog?

I want to make a mini bog for some VFTs and a small S. Leucophylla. I found a small cooler that I thought would be good for a container because since it is a cooler it protects the stuff inside (soil and roots) from heat and cold. It has a lid but I took it off. The cooler is 10.5 inches long, 7.25 inches wide, and 5.75 inches tall. Is this size container good for a mini bog?
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say yes for the VFTs, but I think the leuco will have to be squished in.. I've heard that fully mature like it 6"-8" deep, but it'll probably do fine. You're going to have to be careful of the VFTs being invaded by the dividing leucos (even though VFTs divide themselves). I another thing is that when it's too small, you won't know because a cooler has strong walls, but you can tell in a regular plastic pot because the Rhizome actually streches the pot. I don't remember who told me, but some one said they had a pot actually split because of the growing rhizome.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok well I split up the VFT's, it turns out that it was four plants just planted all right next to eachother. The leucophylla is small, the tallest pitcher is less than a foot tall. The roots and rhizome aren't very big either. I got it all set up and it looks good. I'll get some pictures tomorrow when it's daytime. In the leucophylla pot, I found more than 9 drosera seedlings. I know the biggest one is a capensis. I kept 9 of them, the others I lost in the leuco's soil. They're all in a pot right now. Should I put a plastic bag over the top of the pot to increase humidity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont really think high humidity is required. i think it would do better, just not required.

ps. i heard that live sphagnum as top dressing tends to increase humidity for the plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I like how live sphagnum looks, but I don't know how to grow it or anything.