Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ac did not work

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've seen them for 350 or so.. but yeah, portable vs window--- BTU for BTU window is cheaper. You should definitely have better success with it in the window let us know!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be aware that room Ac units are not really designed for much below 65f, your evaporator will start freezing over at some point following that... this is why refrigerators have a defrost cycle

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it said something about having to be above 65 to work. Last night it got it down to 60 inside my setup. I can get it 62-64 just with ice packs. So maybe I'll just have to have it a little warmer for the summer months and hope they don't hate me too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60 is a good low though, I run 60 at night and around 80 during the day. All my highland neps are loving it and doing nice healthy new growth.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Villosa though? I try to have 75-77 day and the lowest possible night. My lowii is pitchering and my hamata is growing really slow too. But I'm trying to go 40's and 50's at most.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Murphy the only way to achieve such temps is to build a terrarium with a small freezer on the bottom. Then you need to setup a thermostat to control a fan ducted into the freezer that will then blow the cold air into the terrarium. That is what I plan to do when I get up north. My villosa is growing fine, all be it slowly, with low temps down into the 60's. It is not good for long term, but it should be fine for a little while until you can get something made for them.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a ICPS article in one of the back issues that gives directions for converting a chest freezer into a ultra-highland grow chamber. I believe to specifically to grow N. villosa was the authors intention. Easiest way to get those low 40 temps for ultra-highlanders but quite expensive. Can sometimes find good chest freezers in the want ad's for a reasonable price. I do not know the back issues #, but if you are a member of ICPS, they send you a complete back issues on computer disc as part of membership.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12