Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heating a mini greenhouse

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The temperature is 15-18 degrees during the day, 10 degrees at night. Perfect for highland nepenthes, not very good for lowlands!

I currently have nothing in there, but I am receiving some Nepenthes seeds in a few weeks time, and they are lowland seeds, so I need to get it set up for them.

How many Watts would a seedling propogator mat use? I could consider buying one, but would prefer to go with the aquarium heater, but obviously only if it works! Would a seedling propagator mat be ok in a humid enviornment?

Ideally, I want to raise the temperature by 15 degrees. This would give me close to 30 during the day, and 25 during the night, which is just fine. An incandescent bulb, with a layer of insulation on the shelf to prevent the heat going all the way to the bottom of the enclosure, can raise it by 8-10 degrees. I need something which produces a little more heat, but uses less power.
    Drosera Arcturi-The Alpine Sundew...

I'm an AMP People's Choice Applicant this year, please vote for me here:
    http://ampvoting.orcas.co.nz/Applicants/Details/10699

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what you can find over in your area but maybe this will answer some of your questions

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...?number=PR-HMH
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a good possibility, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think an aquarium heater in a jug or a light bulb will do the trick.
    You won't get that much heat out of a big bottle of warm water.. and it will not be even heat, not to mention the space it takes up. It is also dangerous if you forget to put water in and crack the heater.

The light bulb won't work during the night ;> It is also very hot by the bulb and quickly drops off the further you go. It is also a risk of exploding if water hits a hot bulb.

A heat mat will warm evenly across the grow shelf. It will create a little warm micro environment at the top of your grow area. it will also heat from the root zone up which is really beneficial for lowland plants. You will have to pay close attention to watering though as the pots will dry much quicker.

I don't think you would need a partition between the lower area unless you are blowing alot of air around in there, since the warm air should naturally stay towards the top.

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. The only thing is, I'm looking at around 40.00$ for the smallest seedling heat propagator, so I can only really afford to get the little one. This means it won't fully cover the shelf, so will it still work to warm the space enough? I need to warm it to 30 degrees, so will the seedling heat propagator do this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont waste your money for those propigation mats. go down to your local CVS look in the health isle and try to find heat pads, there like $15 you can plug them into the wall and they have a way to control temps

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can find neither of those any cheaper than 50.00$ over here, so I'm afraid I don't think it's possible. Well, none of them have thermostat control anyway, so the heat produtcion would be uneven, an I can't afford that much for one thing. It would be cheaper to risk going with the aquarium heaer, which obviously works for terrariums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't advise a heater from the pharmacy. They are not designed for continuous use in wet environments. Good chance of having one catch fire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast