Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aquariums look so much cooler without rims

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I saw my dorm and I have plenty of room. It's a small room, but huge for a dorm room I've been told. I'm not used to tiny spaces so it'll take getting used to. He doesn't care what I do or how I party or what I listen to. He likes techno and he's a democrat. I feel like I won a lottery. He's so laid back, it's like he's taking barbitu.... like I said I feel like I won the lottery.

Technically... growing plants is encouraged, but the issue is whether or not they'll say a glass box is a fish tank if it has no rims, water or fish :P

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    naah ! you should be fine. Don't worry too much about it. Sounds great that you got a big room though. I am looking for offcampus housing for my next two years of masters. I am looking for a apartment so that I have my freedom. I am planning on making me a nice terrarium to hold all my cp's. The challenge will be the balancing act with temps etc as currently I have highland/ to marginal ultra highland temps in my basement. I truly don't want to loose that. I have got nearly a 1 yr pitcher life on my ceph at these lower temps. I am trying to get a place with an airconditioner so that I can keep it cool, Literally. ;D

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd be surprised at how down to earth and relaxed many RAs are...lots of them will tell you about whatever violation you did and then say, "But it's ok."

Also, my school has the policy that the RAs or room inspectors cannot open cabinets or closets or even touch anything at all...which means any violation can literally be covered with a towel.

The day of your room's inspection, throw that baby over the terrarium, and bingo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I read the only time anyone inspects your crap is if they have probable cause that fed/state/local law or a college rule has been broken. That's all it talked about. They randomly go through your room? Wow.

And whenever you move out to make sure you didn't damage anything lol.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well not to go further off topic, but since we are talking about my area of professional "expertise" (lol)... As a general rule, the primary job responsibility of RAs (or CAs or whatever alphabet soup acronym they use at your university) besides providing a safe educational environment is to promote and establish a community. Many RAs operate under the principle of not invading privacy as long as you are not disturbing the surrounding community. Basically, what you do in your own room is your business unless it somehow affects the people around (roommate, suitemates, floor mates, other students, etc.). Of course there are always the exception to this rule, and I do not advocate violating hall policy; but, I seriously doubt you would get in any real trouble for growing some carnivorous plants in your room. Worst case scenario, you get busted and you sit down with the Hall Director and he/she says you gotta get rid of it. You certainly won't get kicked out or expelled. Although, with something as cool as CPs word might get around pretty quickly!

You have to remember that residence halls provide a developmental experience, and no other place in the world will you get "lighter" sanctions or punishments because as educators, we are bound to turn whatever offense may have happened into a "teachable moment." I've had conversations with people who have done far worse and still have not removed them from campus housing. Judicial affairs at colleges and universities is just an extension of the academic environment.

That being said, if you do get busted or get in trouble let me know, and I'll help you out.

xvart.

edit: oh, and most schools will go through your room over break periods (thanksgiving, winter, and spring break) for "health and safety inspections."
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It did mention holidays.

If they make an issue out of it I'll just down grade. They don't care about plants, they recommend bringing them. Aquariums were only mentioned in regards to housing fish, too. No big deal, if they complain I'll just sell it and, downgrade.

The RAs seem cool. Of course they're "the man" lol. But not you, of course :P

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The RAs seem cool. Of course they're "the man" lol. But not you, of course :P
    Oh no, Clint. I am "the man." lol.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior Nitecrawler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it's funny. Word does get around. Everyone will want to see your collection!

They don't randomly search our rooms, but there is a week where they come into everyones' rooms and make sure everything is ok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12