What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting a mini-bog this winter

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
This winter, I plan to start a minibog. However, it's going to be themed as if it's a south-east American wet field. In simpler terms, it'll only be plants found in south-east America (Venus Fly Traps, Thread-leaf sundews, Sarracenia, Butterworts, etc).

Quick question: How do I prevent soil from splashing onto the plants when it rains? I have plants in a big pot filled with peat, and whenever it rains the soil splashes all over the plants and makes them look bad. I'm thinking of covering the surface with pine-needles or something.

Peat doesn't splash onto my plants when it rains o_O. Besides, minibogs are harder to drench with water (mine anyways, so correct me please. It's because for the sake of the VFT, I took off the bottom that holds water so the water excess water can get out of the pot. I think I kiled my previoues one because of overwatering) than pots.

Peat does splash onto plants when it rains. o_O

I put a top dressing of Long Fiber Spagnum on top of the peat..
LFS does not splash onto plants when it rains.

Scot

some LFS on top helps with preventing the splashing I think when te peat is in the pot or minibog it'll splash easily at first and after a few times it settles, though I like te LFS on it easy to find the bugs that come off the flytraps after a rain and it helps keep water in a it more.

Ummm...whhhhaaaaaaaAAT?

What the crap?

yeah LFSM is the answer for this question I think, granted I'm sure there are other methods that would work as well... but since we're cp'ers and LFSM comes in no shortage as far as its use for us... I'd assume you'd be able to get some if you dont have any....

I used LFSM for the top of my minibogs and I havn't had a single problem at all I really like the way it looks too

better show us photo's when its done :)

Ummm...whhhhaaaaaaaAAT?

What the crap?

Ummm...whhhhaaaaaaaAAT?

your post makes no sense..
what are you talking about?

If you dont understand what we are talking about, peat compared to LFS and the relative splash merits of each, just say so..but you need to use words that form questions we can understand.

Scot

Ummm...whhhhaaaaaaaAAT?

your post makes no sense..
what are you talking about?

If you dont understand what we are talking about, peat compared to LFS and the relative splash merits of each, just say so..but you need to use words that form questions we can understand.

Scot

Snap!
Oh yeah, I like your use of extra punctuation..

Good luck with your bog Ahmad. In my experiance, a month or two after repotting the peat tends to settle down and not splash as much.

Not that cultivating some sphagnum wouldn't be a bad idea. If you had any live sphagnum, I bet you could start to grow it there, and hopefully it would take. The plants I have outside that are in pots with live sphagnum hold up very well to rain and even pretty hard storms. It prevents root disruption pretty well in addition to alleviating splash from the peat.

This is topped off with the dried material. It is slowly but surely becoming green (not with algae) and alive, just from being outside.

DSCF1533.jpg

Pine needles are actually pretty decent, as they acidify as they break down.

Back