User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Our Mini Green House Under Construction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks. These storms are getting to be really annoying.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maneatingmoo View Post
    That sucks. These storms are getting to be really annoying.
    You got that right maneatingmoo, i dont think we have had one solid week of sunshine yet. Half our races have gottin canceld due to flippin rain, its getting to be a real pain in the ****.
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to think about is the plastic covering on your greenhouse too. Check with any local large grower of flowers under poly and see if they are replacing theirs anytime soon. You can pick up what they discard for free and it's still a better quality than what you might find in a Lowe's or Menards. It doesn't hurt to ask !
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about the weather. Keep us posted
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tracey. Yes just to warn you. Using the drop cloth plastic from Lowe's will only get you one winter out of it before it needs to be replaced. It is not UV stable and the sun will destroy it. I know because that is what I use on my GH. I did that on purpose because I have to remove walls in the summer to keep the temps down and because I was still prototyping the GH plans too. Now also how are you planning to heat your mini GH? I have a 12 x 16 GH and it has double layer plastic with an air gap the size of a 2x4. I use two 1000 watt space heaters to keep the temps around 50F. I am telling you my electric bill hates them running all night. With you being up in Mich with the temps getting colder than here in Ga, I would be almost betting your going to heed a butt load of heaters or your just not going to be able to keep the temps up with just plastic. Also the structure will not be able to handle any snow sitting on it. The plastic will rip. Even the thickest you can get from Lowe's.

I don't mean to be a downer, but I don't want you to get your hopes up and loose plants. What minimum temp do you plan to keep? Do you plan to use it all winter? Do you get snow and how much?

Recycled wood is not a problem, I used that to build my GH too, in fact I recycled my deck for a lot of the wood, and I even have a floor in the GH because if it! He he he I used the decking to make a floor.

Greenhouses are great, but simple plastic houses are not good for extreme cold climates if you planning to use it all winter.

It would be good to ask local GH's and find out how they are heating and what they use for glazing. I would be willing to bet you do not find many plastic houses that far north. I would be willing to bet they use polycarbinate as it is stronger and better insulation.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good points Josh, but there should be plenty of GH in Mich. that use poly as roofing. It's expensive and only lasts them about 3-5 years but would still have plenty good life left for Traceys use. The polycarbonate and glass are gonna be expensive and when you have another hobby called Drag Racing I'll bet her hubby will opt. for the used GH film !

As far as the heating goes your right $$$$$. What are your winter plans Tracey ??
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no doubt on the film, but It is just going to be a Booger to heat in the winter. It is for me down here in GA and we don't get snow. Plus it sag regardless of how steep you have the pitch. So unless she is going to have a blower inflating the two layers of plastic, she is going to need something to support the plastic. I use chicken wire on my roof to keep water from accumulating on the top layer because no matter how tight i pull it it always stretches a little and I have rain accumulation. In MN all the greenhouses I have seen used polycarbinate as glazing. I did not see any with the film because it does not hold up to snow very well, but there might be some there. Who knows.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whooo drag races, cant wait till the next ones up here at Pacific Raceways!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast