Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mosquitos

are driving me nuts. they are in everything and everywhere. My bogs, my neps...

Grr....

I pretty much can't go out back now to enjoy my plants because I get swarmed. I put some dunks in all the open nep pitchers out there to see if that helps, but really at this point I'm at a loss...
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bug zapper maybe? Or you could cover all of the standing water around there so they don't lay eggs in it.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should get some carnivorous plants. That'll take care of 'em. Oh wait...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mosquitos can sucessfully breed inside nepenthes pitchers?
    are you sure?
    why wouldnt they get digested in the larva stage?

as for other areas of standing water, such as trays, all you can do is dump and refill every couple days..

they wont breed in bogs which just have moss on the surface..even though the bogs are wet and "boggy", mosquitos have to have actual open water to breed..the larva live in water..they can't live in just "damp moss"..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain. I get bit about 10 times everyday. The only thing I can do is wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt if I go outside, but it's 90 here! And even then they go after my head, lol. My sundews are getting a good meal though Hang in there!
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ralph Snodsmith, radio garden guru reccomends this:

Take 500mg of B1 thiamin then the following day take 100mg twice a day. He swears this works. I haven't tried it yet myself. Our bodies don't absorb it, it gets released through the pores and apparently the mosquitos hate the smell.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotty, yes mosquitoes can breed inside the pitchers.

Well you could get a mosquito magnet. The thing that used the propane tank, but they are pricey at around $250. I know a few people that swear by them. They are said to wipe out mosquitoes in like a mile radius. A Doc at work said the second year he had his up and running there was hardly any int he traps and none flying around because it did such a good job taking them out. It attracts them to an opening and sucks them in a trap so you can visually see the dead mosquitoes.

Your already using the dunks so that is a good thing. You can also get yourself some Bayer advanced concentrate and add it to the pitcher and all of your standing water. You have to get the concentration to the right level, but it will kill the larva and any other invertebrate growing in the water. I added it to a tank that had daphea in it and it killed all them too so I have to get a replacement culture to start them again. I will just have to add some gold fish to eat the larva.

Whatever you do you need to do something though. Since your in ATL, you have a lot of people in a close area. If by chance a West Nile mosquito starts to breed there you could get in a lot of trouble for allowing the condition for them to breed. I recommend the the propane powered mosquito magnet, but I know that is not always possible. I have not bought myself one yet due to the funding issue. I just try to keep Bayer or a dunk in the standing water.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thing's a MUST have: http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/how_it_works/
    "The blood seeking pests are caught in a vaccum, pulling them into a net where they dehydrate and die in 24 hours"
    lol
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast