Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain Barrels

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotty, I like your setup and its definitely cheaper than buying like I did but either or will save in the long run. I don't see yours ever having a mosquito problem with that lid on there.

The rainwater solutions 65 gal that I bought comes with a screen that you screw down over the holes in the lid. Water flows threw the gutter and into the lid holes on the barrel. The screen is a debris/mosquito deterrent.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    — Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ised to use a 30 gallon plastic trash barrel, but that made my wife and lower tenant uncomfortable. Something about West Nile Virus...... Anyhoo, Scot's setup looks like a great idea... nice and enclosed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got me 6 new 55 gallon rain barrels for $100 total. I now want to build a bog and i wanted to before but my only problem was water because i didn't want to have to buy distilled water all the time. I have heard that a 1/4 of a inch of rain will fill those suckers up so i should have a lot of water unless a exceptional drought comes along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great price! Are they just the old blue food grade drums or are they "official" rain barrels?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They actually held car wash soap but all me and my dad have to do is connect it to some gutters then put a facuet on the bottom then put a over flower pipe on it and that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the blue food grade barrels form a local junk yard for about 20 bucks a piece. Great deal!
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got some white and blue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello eou... here is my three barrel set up using 55 gallon blue drums. You might be able to use it since you just got your barrels. You can chain as many as you want together.. 6 would be a massive amount of water.

I set them up last year to water potted plants, the veggie garden, and my indoor orchid collection…. But now it will go to supplementing the bog garden. I got the design from a website that I can't find at the moment. And all three will fill up from a 1/8th of rain, since it collects on half of my entire roof.

The whole set up is on a 2 foot high wooden platform made from heavy lumber. This gives a acceptable water pressure if you use a hose attachment. It is by no means close to house pressure though. The other benefit is that this allows you to do most of the plumbing below the barrels and out of sight.

Since all the barrels connect below, they all fill and drain equally. There is a single spigot which is a larger 1.5 inch opening version, so it fills 5 gallon buckets very quickly, so you aren't waiting a long time like you would using a standard "house" spigot that is a lot smaller and slower because there isn't a lot of water pressure in the system.

If you can get the blue drums that are sealed on the top rim.. But have the two smaller threaded openings, this system is easy if you can do basic PVC glue work. The barrels are actually upside down, so all the piping uses the existing threading. You don't have to cut your own threads or worry about leaks.

I originally had only one overflow pipe coming out of one barrel, but during heavy rains, there would be small geysers of water from the air holes at the top of the barrels… so I ended up added overflows to each barrel and linking them below to reconnect to the old gutter pipe that directs water away from the house.

In the winter I just disconnect the top PVC pipe that hooks to the downspout and reconnect the removed portion of the downspout… and leave the spigots open. There aren't any openings that you would have to worry about mosquitoes.

This will be the first year using the water for the bog, so it will be interesting to see how much it will require to stay saturated well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast