What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bit the bullet and setup a grow rack - Critique!

Updated the first post but the title won't change. :nono:

Made some big modifications.

The only thing I can say is the best all around bulb according to a respected growing member here. is the 5000K bulbs. I forget who mine were made by, but they have a 93 CRI on them. I cannot tell you from personal experience on how they do because I only just moved some plants under lights. That is just what I was recommended and what I decided to use. I still have to pick up a second light because the one I don't think is cutting it.

The surrounding by mylar and setup looks great. Good luck.

Now it looks a lot better! Might as well put some chicken in there while you're at it. :jester:

do you know what brand the dual t8 light fixture is? I've been looking for one but can't find a cheap one

walmart has some cheap ones without pull cords for like 8 or 9 bucks. If your going to use a timer get the outdoor one from walmart. You can plug in 4-6 things in it and its grounded. Anyhow since you would normaly not use the pull cord why pay for it and get the cheaper one. It runs t-8 and t-12 bulbs.

do you think the walmart ones would last long? And is it dual bulb? Do they also sell it with hanger chains? And what brand?

I saw this one at HD, But uses T12 Bulbs
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...log.beans.EndecaDataBean@cd918bf&ddkey=Search

I saw somebody else on here say that they haven't had the best of luck with the Lights of America fixtures and that they've replaced a few over the past few years. They are only $10.50 after taxes so they're extremely cheap. Of course Chinese garbage is exactly that, garbage, so it's not surprising haha! Perhaps I will replace them with better units that have better reflectors if and when they take a crap. I will probably add another fan to blow towards the ballasts to help keep their temperatures down. I also don't want to seal it in for ventilation's sake, so I wasn't too concerned with that aspect. That might help the reliability department.

Alien, here is an interesting article on lighting:

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/fluorescent.html

Check it out. :)

Yeah I saw that. I'm contemplating whether or not I want to go pick a couple of those GE Plant and Aquarium lights up and replace 2-4 of my existing lights. I might do that this weekend. Do you use those same ones by chance? If so how are they working out for you?

The other article that is frequently linked to on here showed that the Philips ADV850 was the most efficient light, but I can't find anybody selling those in anything less than cases of 25. :( Although if I did buy that many I'd have enough lights to last me several years. :)

thats wayyyy better...

what are the conditions in that bad boy?

Back