User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bit the bullet and setup a grow rack - Critique!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien1099 View Post

Dollar store VFTs.
    Actually, they were from my local nursery who have had CPs every now and then.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha xvart they weren't that bad! they were green and alive right? beggers cant be choosers... besides they look good now minus the 110 temps that are stressing all them out haha...

anyways alien I just quickly skimmed this thread so pardon me if I missed anything.

yeah your height between plants and lights need to be adjusted for best results, so moving the sarra under a different set up would actually be ideal.... or if you dont want to go that route you could always just boxes or something to put your vfts up near the lights... your looking for having those guys within 6-10'' from the lights if you can help it, the closer the better really...I noticed a big difference in the quality of my vft's even when I just moved them 2 or 3 inches closer... ( you can see the intensity difference if you hold your open palm under the lights hit your plants now and slowly move your hand towards the light... its astounding really )

your tubes should okay for your vft's so long as your rack is keeping most of its light within itself... so that mylar should help...

now we all know that humidity is less of an issue for vft's, but if you can help it I would say find some way to keep the humidity up within your grow rack, sealing it up as best you can and then getting a fan going for circulation to keep fungal growth at bay....

hope it helped?

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice is to enjoy your plants and for goodness sakes, get a nepenthes or four! You now have a great setup for them! Your bulbs and rack are just right.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    My advice is to enjoy your plants and for goodness sakes, get a nepenthes or four! You now have a great setup for them! Your bulbs and rack are just right.

Capslock
    I am DEFINITELY considering it! I am rather ignorant on nepenthes plants though so I need to do some more reading. Can you recommend any interesting ones that don't require a semi sealed area to lock in humidity?

Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    Actually, they were from my local nursery who have had CPs every now and then.
    You asked what was in the pot on the left. I was just answering your question is all. They are dollar store VFTs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien1099 View Post

You asked what was in the pot on the left. I was just answering your question is all. They are dollar store VFTs.
    Oh, I thought you were talking about mine (which are deceased :P). Sorry about that.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alien, you can try lots of different neps. First, hybrids are usually a lot easier than species, but the following species are easy: N. ventricosa, N. sanguinea, N. maxima, N. alata, or N. copelandii. Just find one that you like and is available and give it a try!

For care, they are easier than those other plants you're growing. The only difference is you don't leave them in standing water. Keep them moist, never let them dry out, but don't soak them in a tray like vfts or sarracenia.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    Alien, you can try lots of different neps. First, hybrids are usually a lot easier than species, but the following species are easy: N. ventricosa, N. sanguinea, N. maxima, N. alata, or N. copelandii. Just find one that you like and is available and give it a try!

For care, they are easier than those other plants you're growing. The only difference is you don't leave them in standing water. Keep them moist, never let them dry out, but don't soak them in a tray like vfts or sarracenia.

Capslock
    Ah. That's not a problem. I topwater my plants every few days. The water trays don't really have water in them for long. the small integral trays on a few of them made it a pain to do the tray watering method so I just top water. I usually water them just barely enough for water to appear in the tray of each one. Would that be too much for a nep?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking set-up Alien.

Not too unlike the growrack I built -----> My growrack creation

I put my Sarrs and VFT's outdoors in the summer though. Neps, Sundews and Pings stay in the rack year 'round.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast