Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: my new terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my new terrarium

Hi everybody!

Recently I found an old rusty fume chamber in the storage room of school chemlab and I remodeled it into a terrarium because the one i have right now is not big enough for my expanding collection. I would like to ask someone experienced about the lights. Its dimensions are 70cm x 80 cm x 60 cm (in inches: 27.5 x 31.5 x 23.6). There will be 3 sets of lights installed. Left side will be equipped with ultrasonic mister and filled with neps helis adelae schi and prolifera and maybe some bromelias or orchids and bedded with fibrous live spagnum moss.
    Right side will serve for accommodation of (sub) tropical drosera and mexican pinguicula. How many watts and what type of lights would be the best for use in terrarium of this size?

Here are the pics:

Thanx!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I really wish I had tank that big, but shorter. Very nice for Neps Are you certain those Sarrs are getting enough light?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi caps!
    No I dont think they do actually. They are placed there only temporarily untill we finish painting balcony and windows:-) The left side will be with hanging baskets of neps and tropical droserae on the bottom. On the back side there will be coconut fibre mat with some utrics and bromelias....but first i need to figure out the lights......any ideas?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T8 or T5s would be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I wish you luck with your bacony and windows .

As Mr. Truncata stated, T12, T8s, and T5s are good, but T5s create more heat.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    capensis thanx for wishing good luck with painting.....it is done now:-) so i could move the sarrs into the sun:-)
    Update: i installed light in the right section where I also moved some droseras. My question is...since i dont have much experience with artificial lighting...is this enough>? That is one T5 with alobal reflector 8W 20cm from the plants (7.9'')
    Here are the pics:

Now will the same light be enough for the left part where neps are to be accommodated? Distance is double...

Thanx for help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems about right. It looks very nice For the left side, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update: this weekend I brought some new nepenthes and droseras from the exhibition. Couldnt get sphagnum moss so I went to the forest and picked up some. They are two different species of moss dont know what they are but look good (especially the one in nepenthes side) and create great microclima for the plants. Here are some pics:

The work is not done yet I am going to get ultrasonic fogger and also something to cover the back door and hang some more neps there. Hope the plants will like it there:-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast