What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T5 on sale.... Wow

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
I gave 130-ish for the same fixture from the same vendor with no bulbs over a year ago...

Currently on sale @ 118.00 w/ bulbs!!!

Wow.... if you have been waiting, its time to jump!

http://www.contractorlighting.com/high-fluorescent-4lmp-t5ho-p-152.html?osCsid=7476936ebb9f7e0ea8badffb7a2e7158

of course, Caveat Emptor... as your milage may vary... personally i was extremely pleased with both the quality and service after the sale (first one arrived damaged in shipment, they replaced and paid for all shipping charges)

Later I went back and ordred the 6 bulbs version, here it is in use (w/5000k German Narva bulbs)
misc_flowers.jpg

but be prepared for heat, normal T5 bulb temps exceed 165f

Av

I really need one of these. But...the heat worries me. :(

Wow look how red that heli is :0o: These seem great for bright loving plants like helis and cephs. Thanks for the link Av.

Nice, what are the shipping charges?

Warren, its a big and heavy box, think it was 25ish when i got mine... but im not very far from their warehouse (ohio to ky)

I would guesstimate 30ish to you, but contact them and see....

V, the heat is intense and requires countermeasures

Thanks Jason, IMHO they are the ultimate Heli light

my fav "red" heli pics:
motherwithtwins.jpg

redwistubaminor2008.jpg

helihybrid2.jpg

Cheers'
Av

tempting.... EXTREMELY tempting....

how do you decrease the heat and how do you like them? i see that they've been doing extremely well for you.

looking fantastic B!! WOW!!!

Trek,

I use 120mm PC fans for cross ventilation and an ultrasonic humidifier with variable output. These are connected to the same timer as the lights.

So... lights on = cross ventilation and humidification

During the summer I have been able to maintain a temp of mid 70's during the day with 75% RH, but even with this the helis, cephs and graomo's complain. Cant wait for winter... then it gets in the 50's and everything goes wild with color and growth.

BTW, the two 120mm fans are on the same timer as the lights, but each have a dedicated power supply for redundancy sake. If both fans were on a single power supply and something happened... it would be an oven in very short order. Either one of the fans alone is enough to keep things cool, so it's a purely failsafe redundancy thang.

and thanks V, ;)
Butch

Would you be able to snap a picture of your fans / light / humidifier layout? I'm curious how it looks.

Thanks!
Nathan

Nathan,

Here is a pic I took a while back, it's a basic econo rack system

mainrack.jpg

If you look at the lower right side you will see something blue, this is the humidifier. It is a wally world Reli-On brand with a good size reservior and variable output. It's output is directed upwards where it is caught in the airflow of the fans. This gives me temperature and humidity "zones" that I take advantage of.

You can see one of the PC fans in this image, the other is identical but mounted in the other end panel, a pull and push system.

The panels are 1/2" foil covered foam insulation panels from Lowe's

Notice you dont see much light escaping, and you dont see any of the bulbs.

Not very pretty, but it's basic, cheap and effective IMHO

Ive been accumulating the stuff needed for a nice looking, fully automated system... but that is still in the design stages.

Av

Looks awsome as always Av. Was hoping you would post pics of your great setup. What kinda neps you got on the lower shelf? Thanks.

spectacular B! When did u start covering it with plastic?? I remember you used to keep it uncovered.

Varun, hmmm been a bit, I found that temps on the left side decreased with the plastic covering the front. It improved the airflow on that end by keeping it more focused (a more laminar flow). Plus, it allowed me to reduce the humidifier output and still maintain a high RH.

Jason,

aristo
argentii
villosa
ventricosa
talangensis

Av

I gave 130-ish for the same fixture from the same vendor with no bulbs over a year ago...

Currently on sale @ 118.00 w/ bulbs!!!

i don't see where it says this includes bulbs.. are you sure?

i am definitely considering getting the 6 bulb version like you have to try and grow some vegetables hydroponically over the winter.

also, did you buy your bulbs from them?

Trek..

It states "lamps included" and no, I got my bulbs off of an online auction site... I got an entire case of german narva 5000k for one dollar, I was the only bidder :)

"PRICE INCLUDES T5HO 54 WATT 841 SERIES LAMPS"

Av

Looks like $111 without bulbs now. I think I'm going to get it. Are there any extras there you can recommend? I imagine I'd want a 6' cord with 3-prong plug, so that makes it $129, which is about what you paid.

And then I'd just get lights at an aquarium store, I guess (since the min amount to buy from them is 25 bulbs).

EDIT: Oh, and when it says the price does not include lamps, does that just mean it does not include the bulbs? I hope there's not more that I'd need, other than bulbs.

Ten,

I wouldnt give that much for a cord, surely you have an old appliance laying aournd you can butcher... and yes, just no bulbs..

Ive always found them real good to work with, they will include just enough bulbs if you ask them at time of purchase

Av

Ten,

I wouldnt give that much for a cord, surely you have an old appliance laying aournd you can butcher... and yes, just no bulbs..

Ive always found them real good to work with, they will include just enough bulbs if you ask them at time of purchase

Av

Just looking around, I just found this site. That comes with a 10' cord and the bulbs of your choosing. (Should I get all 6500k, or maybe two 3000k, too?) To top it off, I clicked "retail stores," and they have one in PA, and one in FL. The PA one is local for me! So I might just head up there.

Ten,

avoid that light like the plague, notice that it uses a flat reflector.... extrememly inefficient design

dont walk away from it, run screaming away from it
Av

Ten,

avoid that light like the plague, notice that it uses a flat reflector.... extrememly inefficient design

dont walk away from it, run screaming away from it
Av

Yikes. Sounds serious. From the small picture on the site you linked to, I can't tell a difference, though. Any chance you have or can link me to one that looks how I should not run away from?

Thanks

Back