What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium Fan

Maxx

Someday is not a day of the week.
Hey guys. I got my 40 gallon terrarium but am looking for a new fan. The one that my mom gave me is kinda rusted up and isn't to convienent. Anyway I know alot of people use PC fans and I know knothing about those. So what type, specifications, etc... should I get if I got a PC fan?

Thanks,
-Max

I wouldnt necessarily use a PC fan for a 40 gal, I use a 4'' steel fan I bought at walmart for 4 bucks.... i clipped it to the side of the tank right under my lights and it works great...

but maybe multiple small pc fans would be a good idea?

Oh. Well I guess I'll use a bigger fan then. ANybody have any suggestions for large-terrarium fans then?

the 4'' walmart fan....6$

I also have one of those small "high-velocity" Wal-mart fans. I don't use it, but it would be graet for your 40 gallon terrarium.

I wouldnt necessarily use a PC fan for a 40 gal, I use a 4'' steel fan I bought at walmart for 4 bucks.... i clipped it to the side of the tank right under my lights and it works great...

but maybe multiple small pc fans would be a good idea?

I use the exact same fan for my growrack (mostly encased) and it has worked perfectly. I initially used two of them, but found one does fine.

Wouldn't it rust up and stuff?

yes it will....so what? It will still work just fine

Oh ok. I didn't know if it would stop working eventually or something.

However, the PC fans are electrically isolated due to the fact they are not line voltage... so there is a definite safety advantage to their use,

so if you do use the walmart fan, IMHO I would use ground fault protection (which your lights should be using anyways) and run a ground bonding wire between the steel fan and the plant rack

Always make sure everything is grounded properly, electricity will take the path of least resistance... be it a ground wire or you ;)

Av

i have mine inside a petiolaris complex dews terrarium for over a year and had no problems. i also have a big terrarium 3' x18''x15''

However, the PC fans are electrically isolated due to the fact they are not line voltage... so there is a definite safety advantage to their use,

so if you do use the walmart fan, IMHO I would use ground fault protection (which your lights should be using anyways) and run a ground bonding wire between the steel fan and the plant rack

Always make sure everything is grounded properly, electricity will take the path of least resistance... be it a ground wire or you ;)

Av

Could anyone show a picture of what this looks like?

Maxx,

simply put, it is electrically connecting all metal components with wire, so any leakage will be given a low resistance path to dissapate...

its easier then it sounds

have a look at a few threads on the subject:
http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107976&highlight=grounding

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107198&highlight=grounding

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100836&highlight=grounding

if you want more, just search for "grounding"

chances are good you will never have an issue, but anytime you mix electicity, water and your butt... well a couple minutes of time, a gfci and a few sections of wire is a small price to pay to possibly save your life

but that is just my opinion, I dont want to tell you what to do or how to do it

always consult a licensed electician ;)
Av

i use a Lasko Clip stik desk fan, its only 2 speed but it does the job and looks pretty cool.

Fan

I have a several in my set ups... just get a PC fan (3-4") ... get a small adapter (usually you might have one sitting around from some old small electronic device (An old Cell phone adapter for example).

Splice the wires together. Wrap them individually well with electric tape. Plug it in. If it doesn't work, swap positions of the wires. Wrap. Plug in.

Now I am not electrician.. so don't do this if you aren't one either.

The end.

ok I got a little 5in fan from radioshack. It's got 32cfm so it's pretty powerfull. Problem is that it isnt reducing the temp by more than a few degrees. What could I doing wrong? Is there a certain way to position the fan?

-max

I used a PC fan I got at Radio Shack.

For an adapter/converter I dug out an old Toy Train controller I had in the garage. I hooked the two wires from the fan up to the 'DC Variable' connectors on the controller.

Now I can control the speed of the fan by turning the throttle knob on the train controller.

Back