Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highland Chamber Series

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of wood is it do you know? I'm wondering what is the best to use that looks good for a living room and won't warp. I'm thinking I'll use birch plywood.

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used birch plywood like you build cabinets and furniture out of. I painted it with several coats of outdoor latex. I tried as hard as possible to construct it in a way that does not allow water from the humidifier or mister to come in contact with the wood. I lined the bottom of the chamber part (wooden table top) with a plexiglass sheet (see last photo). I could have used glass instead of plexiglass but it would have made it a good bit heavier. It already weighs a bunch. The sides are also plexiglass. With scrap plexiglass I also sealed a lip around the bottom plexiglass sheet with scrap plexiglass. So far so good. I've been checking inside of the cabinet area for any dripping water or wet spots and have not found any. I did use one big sheet of treated ply wood for the back of the chamber.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a plan. Seal it good and it should be fine. Maybe line the inside with mylar so to protect and make it brighter too.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very very very nice man! if only I was as skilled as you. I wanted such a chamber for an year now. Nothing has materialized.

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the compliments everyone. When we bought our house it came with a small wood working shop and it was the first project I could think of. I have a circular saw but had to borrow my neighbors Sabre saw and miter saw for cutting holes and angles. I'm by know means an experienced wood worker but when I put my mind to something I'll get it done no if its decent or not. My wife kept saying, "your obsessed with the table and you hang out with it more than me" but when it was done she liked it better than the aquarium terrariums sitting on the floor. One goal was to build something that was indoor approved by her. I think the cabinets helped because it allowed me to get all of my extraneous crap off the floor like stuff for watering and making cutting/trimming etc. The other goal was a larger grow space hopefully fully to partially automated for temps and humidity. So far so good. Thanks again.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12