What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which is a better way to water?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Is it better to replace water for tropical sundews and lowland Neps by adding a little bit each day or every few days, where there is a somewhat significant change it water level?

Are they in a terrarium? And if they are individually potted you could always just water them at different times. Or tray the dews o_O need more info on the growing conditions. But I'd let the neps go a few days between watering, and probably just tray the dews. Or water them every other day or so.

i let most trays dry out for a day or so......the soil in the pots is always moist but i think this allows some oxygen and the like to get into the bottom soil of the pot via the drain holes.....does it matter? actually i have no clue, just an untested theory i have to explain away my forgetfulness :D

Is it better to replace water for tropical sundews and lowland Neps by adding a little bit each day or every few days, where there is a somewhat significant change it water level?

I grow most of my plants in shallow trays -- Nepenthes included -- which I rarely allow to dry out completely (out of sheer forgetfulness), and have experienced no problems with them . . .

I try to let trays dry a little whenever I can get away with it. Otherwise they just get too nasty with algae and bugs and stuff. I don't have a choice with some genera like Pings - those guys just won't work for me waterlogged.
~Joe

I should have been more specific. It's this setup: 10 gallon fishtank, with ~9 gallons of water, heater, plastic tray on top of two CD cases, Grolite, with 22 individual pots of young Neps (globosa, mirabilis), B. liniflora, sundew seeds for germination, D. burmannii, D. hartmeyerorum, D. lanata, D. paradoxa, D. ordensis x paradoxa, D. kenealleyi, and D. falconeri.

of505904422.jpg

Picture187.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

Picture110.jpg

Would it be better to maintain a small range of water level by adding water more frequently or wait a few days and add a gallon at a time?

Back