What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

APS alternative

Evidently "Turface" is the same thing but packaged for ball field/golf course use, and it's much cheaper at around $15-20USD for a 50lb bag!

Schultz also sells it repackaged as a clay soil improver for a lower price then their APS packaged product.

just a heads up for those who love APS but dont love the price

do your homework, google is your friend ;)
Av

Lol, nice find.

For pings, 1:1 sand/perlite works just as well. Mix in some iron oxide and you're good to go.

Awesome! At that price I might not need perlite anymore. Nice tip, Av.
~Joe

Great timing on this - I'm currently planning subbing this stuff for perlite in all my mixes. But - I cannot for the life of me find a reasonable source. I can find it online at orchid supply stores - but they jack up the price. There is only one place, an irrigation supply store, that sells Turface my area, and it's one heck of a drive, so much so it's not worth it.

Anyone have any luck finding a decent source online? Otherwise, I'll just go pick up some APS as at least that's fairly easy to get.

Maybe try construction suppliers instead of agricultural businesses? You could also call your local golf courses/baseball fields and asking if they use it. If they do, they might be able to order an extra unit for you with their next shipment.
~Joe

It all worked out. The local HD was clearing out some stock, and I snagged 3 bags of APS for $4 each. I can live with that.

Back