What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trichoderma paper

Great research paper on Trichoderma

Abstract:
Nature Reviews Microbiology 2, 43-56 (January 2004) | doi:10.1038/nrmicro797

Trichoderma species — opportunistic, avirulent plant symbionts
Gary E. Harman1, Charles R. Howell2, Ada Viterbo3, Ilan Chet3 & Matteo Lorito

Trichoderma spp. are free-living fungi that are common in soil and root ecosystems. Recent discoveries show that they are opportunistic, avirulent plant symbionts, as well as being parasites of other fungi. At least some strains establish robust and long-lasting colonizations of root surfaces and penetrate into the epidermis and a few cells below this level. They produce or release a variety of compounds that induce localized or systemic resistance responses, and this explains their lack of pathogenicity to plants. These root–microorganism associations cause substantial changes to the plant proteome and metabolism. Plants are protected from numerous classes of plant pathogen by responses that are similar to systemic acquired resistance and rhizobacteria-induced systemic resistance. Root colonization by Trichoderma spp. also frequently enhances root growth and development, crop productivity, resistance to abiotic stresses and the uptake and use of nutrients.

View At a Glance
Top of pageAuthor affiliations
Departments of Horticultural Sciences and Plant Pathology, Cornell University, Geneva, New York 14456, USA.
USDA/ARS, SPARC, College Station, Texas 77845, USA.
Weizmann Institute, Rehovot 76100, Israel.
Dipartimento di Arboricoltura, Botanica e Patologia Vegetale, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, and Istituto CNR-IPP, 100-80055 Portici, Italy.

Link: http://www.weizmann.ac.il/Biological_Chemistry/scientist/Chet/NR.pdf

FWIW... You will find people on both sides of the Trichoderma debate, personally Ive used ampacbiotech.net's products for years on all my plants and now consider it standard operating procedure.

Cheers'
Av

Yes, Trichoderma are nice little guys who act kinda like additional roots. Not exactly, but in a way - pumping extra nutrients. Plus they offer protection. Not very nice to other fungus trying to take over their turf lol.
Once again this shows how wonderful and unpredictable mother nature is.

Do you find that stuff locally or do you have to order it?
~Joe

joe,

I prefer dealing with ampacbiotech.net, they have the patent on a strain that is cold loving (relatively speaking) plus they are the mfg, so every order is fresh and very active

Another common product is rootsheild, but ill be honest.. it has always disappointed me. Their spore count is very low and every single time i have ordered it, it has arrived already out of date.

Ampac has two products I use, a flowable powder that I use as a monthly drench and a granular product that is great for transplant and problem area applications

Kelly is the person you need to talk to, she is over the lab.. very nice ppl, Ive dealt with them for years now and have even gotten kelly started into the cp hobby a little

No, I do not work for ampac, nor do i get any type of compensation, just a damn good product IMHO and one that I can personally endorse from long term experience

ampacbiotech.net

Hope this helps,
Av

Cool, I'll give them a call some time then. Thanks for the info.
~Joe

Is that the 'flowable concentrate' I see on their website Av8tor? What is the $ outlay for this? Also - how noticeable is the difference in the plants? I ask because some people swear by superthrive, while I noticed no benefit. I realize trichoderma is a definite benefit to the plant, just wondering if it's worth delving into or not. Thanks.

I can totally attest to Kelly and Ampac Biotech. Ever since I got a sample of trichoderma to work with, I distributed some in the local community and tested some myself. Don't expect it to be a miracle drug...but the plants growing with it are definitely healthier and more vigorous. I myself as Av8tor here will never repot any of our cps without trichoderma atroviride from ampac biotech. It is almost as essential as distilled water for me. :p

So yeah! give it a shot. Ampac's products are amazing and yeah! I have tried rootshield as well....but AB's species seems to be better due to the fresh preparation.

Thanks for the paper B. Really glad to see this paper in nature. Thats a pretty high caliber publication for a fungal species. ;)

thanks,

V

joe,

I prefer dealing with ampacbiotech.net, they have the patent on a strain that is cold loving (relatively speaking) plus they are the mfg, so every order is fresh and very active

Another common product is rootsheild, but ill be honest.. it has always disappointed me. Their spore count is very low and every single time i have ordered it, it has arrived already out of date.

Ampac has two products I use, a flowable powder that I use as a monthly drench and a granular product that is great for transplant and problem area applications

Kelly is the person you need to talk to, she is over the lab.. very nice ppl, Ive dealt with them for years now and have even gotten kelly started into the cp hobby a little

No, I do not work for ampac, nor do i get any type of compensation, just a damn good product IMHO and one that I can personally endorse from long term experience

ampacbiotech.net

Hope this helps,
Av

Is that the 'flowable concentrate' I see on their website Av8tor? What is the $ outlay for this? Also - how noticeable is the difference in the plants? I ask because some people swear by superthrive, while I noticed no benefit. I realize trichoderma is a definite benefit to the plant, just wondering if it's worth delving into or not. Thanks.

NS, yes that is the flowable concentrate... it is a powder that you mix with water. Their granular isnt listed on the website, its one of Kelly's forumlas. I don't think its appropriate for me to quote prices.. just give her a call @ 559 266-8324 (she does have small sizes available for the Cp'er)

I will tell you that it is much cheaper then most of the other products on the market and has a shelf life of at least 3 yrs I think. (I keep mine refrigerated for good measure)

How noticeable is the plants?... hmmm what you notice is you no longer have fungus issues, you notice that the plants grow faster and larger, the color is better etc etc etc.

Its not a fertilizer, you wont use it today and see a growth spurt tomorrow.

What I can tell you is I have not used any fungicides in years, I have not had any ceph losses in years, I have not had any ceph die back in years, Most of my Cp's seem to grow relatively fast. I have also used trich to cured botrytis attacks. Most of my plants seem to be very colorful, regardless of light or soil mixtures used. Now Im sure that trich is only one of many factors, but IMHO and based on years of personal observation, it plays a major role.

Harmful bacteria and fungal spores are everywhere, in nature it's beneficial organisms like trichoderma that are protecting the plant to a great degree. In cultivation we lack many of these beneficial organisms and symbiotic relationships so the door is left open to all those naughty phytopathogens that cause so many problems.

It is not a cure all, but it is a powerful tool. Nature has developed trich to attack these phytopathogens and form a beneficial symbiotic relationship with the plant through millions of years of evolution. How can you beat that ey? It's a "smart bomb" for the Cp'er

But just have a squiz at the paper I posted the link too, their research and electron microscope images say it much better then I ever could.

Of course, YMMV

Cheers'
Av

Back