Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Newbie's Plant Rack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends on the individual fixture....some can....some cant......gotta read the box.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the 4 Sunshine T8s seem to be working just fine. The Drosera multifida extrema is sending up shoots that are blood red, the Binata's leaves are a bit stubbier and redder, the D. dichotoma "giant"'s latest leaves are red instead of green (but the old leaves have wilted away and died, which is worrying), the Nep has sent out 2 new pitchers that can be charitably described as "ZOMG HUGE", the Pygmys are turning a brilliant copper color with all their extra dew -- and the Cape Sundew's latest leaves are bloated and positively dripping with dew.

Not everything is great. One of my 3 Cape Sundews has red spots appearing all over a few leaves, I am worried about some form of pest. The Dichotoma seems to be wilting away on the edges. My Ping continues to shrink away. the Adelae was doing good until I had the brilliant idea to split it up and repot it in 2 pots full of pure LFS -- it doesn't seem too happy, now. The timer isn't working too great, and doesn't come on automatically, I have to wiggle it in it's socket to get it on. I am planning on throwing it out tonight and going back to manual on/off until I can buy another -- I suspect my light is over-voltage for it.

All in all though, it's working pretty good.

Hope to get some pictures tonight.

Edit: Whoops, this was supposed to be in the "Is this enough light?" thread, sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T8 bulbs can be put inside T12 fixtures but it will reduce the life of the bulbs dramatically. a 4' 2x T8 fixture can be purchased at HomeDepot for 15 dollars. a 4' 2x T12 can be purchased at HomeDepot and Lowes for 8 dollars. I would recommend using silica sand and peat 1:3 mix for your drosera seedlings. My advice for bulbs would be to use both cool and warm light in each fixture, this will mix up the wave lengths and make your sundews happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after a month of running the lights for 12-18 hours a day (the timer I got was making a funny noise and not turning on, so I'm going to replace it) my power bill has gone up...

$3.

From $32 to $35.

The next bill after this month's might be the one to look out for, but so far, it looks like the rack isn't affecting my bill that much. If it really is only $3 for power to 4 T8 bulbs, I might set up a second rack away from the window -- maybe in the kitchen at the end of the island -- for different photoperiods, different temperatures, etc. Maybe move my seedlings and propogation chambers and run the lights 24x7 or something like 18 hours a day.)

I figure as long as I have one rack in the windowsill like this then the police won't be knocking on my door looking for weed or whatnot. I have been getting some odd looks around the apartment complex, however.

I'm a bit worried about temperatures in my current rack -- I do not have a fan yet, and the rack is standing right in front of an eastward facing window. Recently the Purple Pitcher plant that was regrowing started wilting like mad despite it having really moist soil, and my Drosera Filiformis Tracyi cuttings and random Sarr/Drosera seeds are sprouting -- signs of really warm temperatures, methinks.

I'm thinking of getting a clip on fan or something similar for the rack.

I installed a thermometer with a memory last night, I have a sinking and horrifying suspicion that the "Max" temp in that rack is going to shock me when I get home tonight. It's been about 80 in the evenings lately in the house, for example, and that's not in direct sunlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahahah 3$? Life's Electricity Bill is a mystery.

My high is 96.... so hot, i too, need to get a fan, but it doesnt look like its affecting any of my neps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halt View Post
    ahahah 3$? Life's Electricity Bill is a mystery.

My high is 96.... so hot, i too, need to get a fan, but it doesnt look like its affecting any of my neps.

Count up how many watts you have running. Then divide by 1000. Then multiply by your KwH cost (its on your electricity bill, mine is 11 cents). That's your cost per hour!

4 40watt lights on 12 hours per day costs me about $6 per month.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123