Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pricing Greenhouses

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Thanks again for your help. I'm excited about checking things out tomorrow in-person. The pictures I've seen don't really show plot at all, so I've just been going by a vague description. I'll follow up with some details later this weekend.
    ~Joe

PS - I'm surprised there aren't more people chiming in on this thread. I remember when we had quite a few regular posters with very nice greenhouses.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, I too have actually been looking into designing and building a greenhouse for my neps! From the very little research I have done, the rigid poly-carb seems to be the best bet for our area. You are right about how our typical lows are around 35 degrees throughout the winter, but don't forget the cold snaps we get here and there that are in the teens or lower. For my set-up, I was thinking I would go with a main heating unit and a small back-up. Since location is a factor at my place, I am building a unit that will face the south-southwest. I am looking at a 10 x 15 greenhouse, but the actual part not under my deck is closer to 10 x 6. If you could build it against another structure, especially the house, you are looking at saving some $$ in heating with the insulation of building next to another structure. Also, electircal and maybe water would be closer. I don't know if this is an option at your place. Lastly, have you looked into materials from Charlies Greenhouses? You can buy the poly-carb from them in Mt. Vernon if you have the ability to truck it down to Oly yourself. Good luck on your project. I don't think mine will be in for another year or so. (I am on the slow boat schedule with too many other house projects to do right now).

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony..... would u say that using this: a 6' x 4' greenhouse INDOORS (http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...p?number=HG-ES) is a good choice than me trying to go for a terrarium style with a 4' x 2' tank? The tank is very expensive. I like this greenhouse...but my concern is...if I use it....what kind of lighting do I need? Will a 2 x 4' 2 lamp T8 suffice if I cover every panel with mylar?

Also...the issue is.... is this greenhouse disassemblable and reassemble easily?? I will be moving in a yr so I don't want to invest in something which is a one time assembly.

thanks,

V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone, i might be a little late into the conversation, but me and my parents just built a greenhosue this summer, heres some details

it is a 12x10xnot sure on height like 9-10;ft greenhouse, its constructed of wood, and there are some shelving units enough to fit a plant on all the way down the 2 12ft sides, i forget what kind of fencing we used but its, heavy maybe cattle fencing? which made the dome for the top of the greenhouse, and it is covered with a 4-6mm plastic, i can get pics.

for this it costed about $400-500 to start it from scratch, we even cleared trees and weeds to build it, which i will be planting more trees... it has a gravel floor which was free, or if you want to say for the cost of gas, got if from the dump. it is built into the ground so it will not be moving, its at least 4ft into the ground, and the other thing about this greenhouse is for next year, i plan to expand it, i can't expand the width but i can go back about 12-24ft back, with some manual work to clear the area, this would be an estimate of $100 or cheaper to build back in about 5ft sections. it is a tough looking greenhouse and we will probably replace the plastic next year, as right now you could put the saying "duck tape fixes everything" to what the greenhouse looks like, its mainly the doors because they are just plastic and the wind caught them

next year i will be trying to put in some solid doors, which we were thinking, old shower doors? has anyone else used or thought about this before? this isn't a high tech greenhouse but its a nice large hobby greenhouse.

It housed all the plants i have, this comming seed starting period i plan to start tons of vegatables and possibly some flowers, and of course when temps get high enough my neps and tropical plants enjoy there own area of the greenhouse. flowers are the if'y, i would like to start keeping bees and would think they would greatly benefit from having more sources of pollen rather than just the veg.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony - just found your Greenhouse Construction thread. Wow! That's pretty inspiring. I won't be working on that scale any time soon but it gives me stuff to think about. dustin, you say your greenhouse is at least four feet into the ground - are you talking about foundation or did you excavate and sink it? I've been thinking about using a sunken floor to cut back on heating costs.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the posts that make the sides of the greenhouse are in the ground, there are 6 of them/3 on each side, they were like 8 or 9ft posts and we used a drill not sure what its called, to drill holes in the ground and then we put the posts in at about 4ft which made the shelve unit things about 4ft tall. ill get pics possibly tomorrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Tony..... would u say that using this: a 6' x 4' greenhouse INDOORS (http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...p?number=HG-ES) is a good choice than me trying to go for a terrarium style with a 4' x 2' tank? The tank is very expensive. I like this greenhouse...but my concern is...if I use it....what kind of lighting do I need? Will a 2 x 4' 2 lamp T8 suffice if I cover every panel with mylar?

Also...the issue is.... is this greenhouse disassemblable and reassemble easily?? I will be moving in a yr so I don't want to invest in something which is a one time assembly.

thanks,

V

I think that would be pretty darn cool indoors lol
    6' wide you could go with a 2' walk in the middle with a 2' wide U shape bench (sidewalls and backwall)

I would imagine that it goes together fairly easily. You are correct though in your concern about proper lighting. I don't think regular shoplight fixtures will do unless you are prepared to use a few of them on each side and hang them so they are close to the plants. If you wanted to have something higher towards the top then you would need something like a 400w metal halide or perhaps better a couple 250w metal halides to distribute the light better. You might be able to use those 100w fluorex fixtures? They put out alot of light so could be mounted up higher. I think if you were to use them you would still want four fixtures, two on each sidewall.

Here is a link to the fluorex fixture so you can see what I am talking about. I think I heard someone say that Homedepot carries them? http://www.esplighting.com/92102.html
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Tony. Yeah! it would be really very very cool. But issue is with room indoors + also the fact that as a student I will be moving regularly....my next move is for sure an yr or so away...but nevertheless...it will be a full move. I remember Andrew telling me that some greenhouses once fitted together cannot can refitted after a take down due to the loss of screw hole friction etc...basically most are meant for one time assembly. But would u think this can be reassembled after disassembly??

yeah! ur flood light fixture looks really cool. What do u think about T5??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast