What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growrack upgrade

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey ya'll

Well ummm, as seeing that the plants I want might be available next spring I'm thinking of upgrading to a growrack, this will allow me to have more plants, without cluttering the room so much, and allowing my mixta to grow as big as its absent heart desires.

So, I want some hlep from ya'll fellers out thea, what tips would you give me, and is it worth it.

thanks in advance.
-carnivoure12

Last edited by a moderator:
you can't go wrong with a grow rack man. THe only thing you gotta worry about is to get the plastic for covering it to ensure that the humidity is maintained.

You really can't go wrong with a grow rack. Here is mine, and what I've done to improve it.

THe only thing you gotta worry about is to get the plastic for covering it to ensure that the humidity is maintained.

I respectfully disagree, depending on what plants you want to grow. I have never used any sort of plastic to keep humidity up and have never had a problem. My humidity fluctuates from 70%ish to lower than my hygrometer can read, depending on the season and the time of day.

xvart.

I would suggest fluorescent lighting to supplement what shines through yon windows, especially for the fall and winter.

I respectfully disagree, depending on what plants you want to grow. I have never used any sort of plastic to keep humidity up and have never had a problem. My humidity fluctuates from 70%ish to lower than my hygrometer can read, depending on the season and the time of day.

xvart.

THe humidity in my apt is 20% right now. WIthout a plastic covering, I couldn't grow any neps or helis. Even cephs slowed down in this humidity until I used a plastic bag to raise it up a bit more. Humidity does make a difference. Not 100% humidity...thats bad too. I am talking about anywhere from 60 to 70. that is perfect.

Here it is, here is my new rack! Don't expect to see any plants on it for a while though.

DSC01412-1.jpg

Nice, I did something like that. Wrap the grow rack in foil or something else reflective. It increases the intensity and you do not need to use as many bulbs.

The humidity of my grow rack runs from 50 to 90 percent in my extra room. In the fish room it is about 80 plus all year. I would not think plastic is needed generally if one uses trays with a bit of extra water.

What are the dimensions of you rack/stand?

I personally like 48 inch for plants, fish or reptile.

I also have to keep my growrack wrapped. Without, my humidity ranges 12-30%. Desert anyone?

In Ontario, though? Still, it does appear the rack is up against a baseboard heater, so it may be worthwhile.
Good luck with it, carn. Once you've got extra space the hobby really starts to get out of control. I used to be able to fit my whole plant collection into a single washtub; now there are plants in every room of my house save one. ;D
~Joe

Whats so bad about Ontario here its ususally 80% Humidity outside. It Does get as cold as -30 C but They aren't inside, the baseboard heater in my room never comes one, its a small apartment so the heat from the lvivng room is enough. Though I do have to get a plastic covering for it.

Please do share your concerns!

Oh no, I was saying that Ontario is not really comparable to the dryness in, say, Salt Lake, like nightsky above. You may not need a cover at all - get a hygrometer first and figure out the ambient humidity.
~Joe

I do have one its an exo-terra digital Hygrometer, the Humidity outside is 80% but in my room its 40% So looks like do need the plastic!

Back