Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Fans

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computer Fans

From time to time someone mentions using computer fans to increase air circulation in their terrariums. Where do you get them? I mean, do you cannibalize a computer or can they be purchased separately? How much does a small / cheap one run?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electronics stores. Try something like Radio Shack.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try this, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=494

then you can just wire them up to a 12v AC adapter plug.

~billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want, send me a PM with how many you want and how long you want the cables. I'll wire them up for you and some out to ya.

-Nathan
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wondered about this too. Can someone list or PM some directions ? Is it as easy as hooking it up to the 12v transformer and plugging it in ? Do you need and inline fuse ? Which fan would work the 5v ? or stick with the 12v ? Can I hook up a series of them or should there be one transformer for each fan ? I will google this too but does anyone have practical experience ?
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback! Lemme ruminate about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    per request of droseraguy....

Directions for hooking up an Old Computer fan. Computer fans are going to be your cheapest fan type available, but you may also find others as surplus.

Computer fans typically run in a few sizes but 80mm or 120mm would be the better sizes for a terrarium. If a fan came from a computer case you'll be working with a DC fan, not an AC one. Depending on the size it will either run 5v or 12v. You'll see a sticker on the fan somewhere that will tell you.

Next thing you'll need in a AC to DC adapter, these are the things you use to charge a shaver with, plug in your cell phone, battery charger, some xmas decoration, etc. You probably have an extra one in a junk drawer that might work. If you look on the sticker of the wall adapater, you'll see an INPUT rating and an OUTPUT rating. You'll want to make sure that the output rating is 5v DC or 12v DC. But there's a fudge factor with this as well, a 4v one or a 8v one might work as well, motors can be forgiving. The important thing to look for though is that it is outputting DC voltage, or AC if you found an AC fan. Not all fan motors are interchangeable from DC to AC. One other rating that is given is amperage you'll probably want around 100mA to 200mA (0.1A or 0.2A) as rating. You'll want to stay away from ones that list something like 1A or 2A. Some cell chargers may be this high and would be too much.

Once you found your parts, you simply cut the end off the fan and the transformer, then strip the ends of the wires. You can use a sharp knife and carefully cut away the insulation if you don't have wire strippers. Next you'll want to find the polarity of each piece. The fan is usually obvious, red positive black negative. However the transformer may be more difficult. The best way is really to just twist the pairs together and plug it in. If it works, you got it, if not switch them around.

*Note: don't let the positive and negative wires of the transformer touch. That creates a short and can burn out the transformer.

Once you get the wires connected correctly, you can just take electrical tape and tape around each pair. Make sure it's nice and secure, you don't want to pull them out by accident.

Then you're done!
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast