Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CP doping

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    n. ventricosa "red" in itself may be a hybrid with n. alata.

Thanks for the experiment! im gonna try that! Nothing like doping things huh?

Also, your english is probably better than mine haha! and thanks for the congrats on a good president!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a chemist, so here's a dumb question:

Would pure protein powder (for humans) work in pitchers of Neps and Helis? Or just too much sugar that a plant cannot consume?
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fryser: nepenthes genus dont have enzymes to digest sugars. In "protein powders" ( i mean the mixes) there is usually a large percentage of sugars (over 50%). So yes for e.g. Neps part of it is useless. Dont know about chemistry of digestion of helis but i think for both it would be better to use pure protein mix with no sugar:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. How did you feed the nepenthes, in the pitcher or in the soil? As for the nepenthes ID, I also have a Ventricosa 'red' that has a similar look to yours and capensis' although the bottom half my of pitchers isn't so cream, it has a little more red in it. More and more, I'm thinking this is actually not a pure ventricosa, but maybe ventricosa x ventrata or something similar.

And your English is very good also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My god, amazing shots. I might try this myself on my Darlingtonia seedlings in a few months. Any suggestion as to what I'd be looking for in the US?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the Nepenthes hybrid used fot the experiment; in my first post I mark it as Nepenthes x Ventrata (a.k.a. Nepenthes ventricosa x alata) because that is how we identified it with some of the Czech growers and it is the most likely because it is very wide-spread on flowershops' shelves in Czech rep. It certainly is not pure ventricosa. It might not even be x ventrata because with these Netherlands' hybrids you never know. Most commercial nurseries dont care about the origin of the plant much they just need something that propagates and grows as quickly as possible so thay can sell it ASAP and make as much money as possible. So for all we know it can be N. (ventrata x alata) x ventricosa x ventrata var. "creamy bottom-red face-flat hat" multiplied by itself Who knows. But it is cheap and ideal species for my freaky experiments:-).
    As for feeding darlingtonia seedlings- dont know if the same is going to work for darlingtonia. From what i know this genus digests sugars and aminoacids only. So at first glance the mix looks perfect for darlingtonia. The thing is darlingtonia needs help of bacteria for digestion (unlike other CPs). Dont know how bacteria would react to pH of this mix since thay ar every sensitive to such change.... also here more than anywhere else old saying applies "too much cure becomes a poison and vice versa" . So if yoy try I would be careful about dosage and frequency.
    P.S. The nepenthes was fed by pouring the solution directly into the pitcher not on the soil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: I have been feeding this heliamphora minor my mix of 18 L-aminoacids (1gram pre week). In 2 weeks it grew 5 more pitchers:

The biggest pitcher is over 10cm now and still growing

P.S. I switched to pure aminoacids mixture from regular protein mix because i had problems with undigested components of regular mix that caused fungi attack sometimes. Using pure aminoacids causes no such thing. The maximum dose is 5g per month (growth is boosted both qualitatively and quantitatively).

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fantastic job man! Very very nice. Good to see the novel ideas. Looks very very promising. My heli which are not fertilized grow a pitcher every 1-1.5 months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12