What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I being an idiot here.

Just a few pics of my terrarium. I want critique. As you guys said, drainage is important, hence the 4 layers. The bottom is expanded clay, then propergating sand, a mix of coco peat, prop sand and chopped spag and then the top dead spag which is now starting to grow. Also my little N. Amp. Does it look alright to you guys. I don't think I have a clue what I'm doing.

Naminside.jpg
[/IMG]

That's a lot of work for one little amp. Are you planning to get more plants? It seems like you might have trouble keeping all of the spag hydrated. Also, how far are the lights? You might want to line at least 3 sides of the terrarium with a reflective material to increase light intensity. Other than that it seems pretty good.

I'd imagine that the sand will work its way into the spaces among the clay over time. You may also want to plan a way to drain water if the level should reach that high (it probably will sooner or later). Could you post pics of the rest of the setup, and go into some of the other aspects like the lighting, ventilation, etc.? A full tank picture would help. I'm sure everyone here will be able to give you better advice with the more information you give.

The plant isn't much more than 7" from the light, if that. The light is a aquarium reflector, thus points straight down. There are two 18" globes in it. One is your basic cool white and the other is a grow lux. I'm going to upgrade a little later on. Also, CPs are like hen's teeth around here. That one little amp cost me $30 and came Air-mail from the other side of the country. VFT and some of the other pitcher plants and even Sundews will pop up from time to time, around Bunnings, which I think is much like what you guys call Lowes. Amps are one of my favourite Nephs and I've always wanted to have a decent sized terrarium (4'x1.5'x1.5') with the entire surface space matted and the upper regions left for a few orchids or air plants which I'm currently mounting on sterile bits of drift wood and cork board (for the orchid) and growing them on in the shade house whilst I wait for the new terrarium to be built. I was going to get a few more amps, I wanted some spotted ones, and I was planning on just allowing them to run wild.

I think it's best to not grow neps in planted tanks, but if you want to and sure about it, go ahead. Also, the green on the sphagnum moss probably isn't growing, they just turn green probably because of algae or something. Don't know what it is but I get it a lot.

Ive said it many times before, do not grow plants planted directly into terras. you can put the pot in the media so it looks that way, but dont directly pot into it
its a bad idea.
Amps, as a lowlander
dont need really good ventilation.
but some ventilation is necessary

... what is your reasoning behind your opinion SK?

drainage
air to the soil
its alot of upkeep if done properly.
and a list of other reasons, i dont feel like i need to explain the whole thing to you.

Ive never been convinced that terrariums are a great idea at all..
IMO, the are just a holdout from the 70's who's time has past..

I dont think there is anything that could be grown in a terrarium that couldnt be grown better outside of a terrarium..the only exception maybe being plants that need really high humidity..but those are rare in the CP world..and there are better ways to provide extra humidity..
and most CPS dont really require extra humidity anyway..

Requiem,
personally I wouldnt bother with all the layers..
I have never understood when books and websites say "put gravel in the bottom for drainage" when you are then supposed to put finer stuff on top of the gravel! which will then quickly work down into the big spaces between the gravel, totally negating any "good drainage properties" the gravel might have had..gravel is only good for drainage if you dont put anything else on top of it! ;)

I would just go with a layer of peat..no real need for anything else..

and I agree with SK..if you want the "terrarium look" its far better to keep the plants in individual pots, then plant the whole pot in the terrarium..you can cover the pot rims with LFS so the individual pots arent seen..then you can take out individual plants as needed, without disrupting everything else..

IMO, you would be better off just not bothering with a terrarium at all..but thats just me..
If you want to grow neps that benefit from higher humidity, an enclosed "grow chamber" is IMO a better idea..you can have your plants on shelves, in pots, with light above, then encase the whole thing in plastic to hold in the humidity..much easier to control growing conditions that way..

IMO, CPs in general arent great candidates for terrariums..
most do far better outside a terrarium than inside one..

Scot

I believe a natural style terrarium is a matter of opinion. I see nothing at all wrong with it. It's not any different than a large undrained pot or container. I have two undrained bogs outside. There's really no difference to me. Eventually it will need it's soil changed etc, just like any other container undrained or not. I had a natural style terrarium that I had going for about a year. I had no problems other than my mistake of putting a few species of Utrics in it. I broke it down only because I needed the room. I allowed the water level to stay fairly high as well. When it went down I'd water again.

requiemsong,
It sounds like to me you are doing everything right. Good luck!

Again I really believe it's a matter of opinion. It's a shame more people aren't willing to give it a go. They really can be nice.

Crystal

Thank you guys. I forgot to mention, the Nep is in a small pot :p. I also dug in around he sides and removed some of the sand and the little that was left, I then worked into the expanded clay at the bottom and some into the mix. I know what you mean about the green stuff on the moss being Alage as I use to keep and breed tree frogs, but this stuff grows, then puts up little pollop tendrils. I cut a few off and put them outside with my few highlanders, Sarrs and Dio, in a tray of finely cut up spag and sure enough, it started to spread. It was really slow at first, but now it's like wildfire.

Back