Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I being an idiot here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I being an idiot here.

Just a few pics of my terrarium. I want critique. As you guys said, drainage is important, hence the 4 layers. The bottom is expanded clay, then propergating sand, a mix of coco peat, prop sand and chopped spag and then the top dead spag which is now starting to grow. Also my little N. Amp. Does it look alright to you guys. I don't think I have a clue what I'm doing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a lot of work for one little amp. Are you planning to get more plants? It seems like you might have trouble keeping all of the spag hydrated. Also, how far are the lights? You might want to line at least 3 sides of the terrarium with a reflective material to increase light intensity. Other than that it seems pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd imagine that the sand will work its way into the spaces among the clay over time. You may also want to plan a way to drain water if the level should reach that high (it probably will sooner or later). Could you post pics of the rest of the setup, and go into some of the other aspects like the lighting, ventilation, etc.? A full tank picture would help. I'm sure everyone here will be able to give you better advice with the more information you give.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant isn't much more than 7" from the light, if that. The light is a aquarium reflector, thus points straight down. There are two 18" globes in it. One is your basic cool white and the other is a grow lux. I'm going to upgrade a little later on. Also, CPs are like hen's teeth around here. That one little amp cost me $30 and came Air-mail from the other side of the country. VFT and some of the other pitcher plants and even Sundews will pop up from time to time, around Bunnings, which I think is much like what you guys call Lowes. Amps are one of my favourite Nephs and I've always wanted to have a decent sized terrarium (4'x1.5'x1.5') with the entire surface space matted and the upper regions left for a few orchids or air plants which I'm currently mounting on sterile bits of drift wood and cork board (for the orchid) and growing them on in the shade house whilst I wait for the new terrarium to be built. I was going to get a few more amps, I wanted some spotted ones, and I was planning on just allowing them to run wild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's best to not grow neps in planted tanks, but if you want to and sure about it, go ahead. Also, the green on the sphagnum moss probably isn't growing, they just turn green probably because of algae or something. Don't know what it is but I get it a lot.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive said it many times before, do not grow plants planted directly into terras. you can put the pot in the media so it looks that way, but dont directly pot into it
    its a bad idea.
    Amps, as a lowlander
    dont need really good ventilation.
    but some ventilation is necessary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... what is your reasoning behind your opinion SK?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drainage
    air to the soil
    its alot of upkeep if done properly.
    and a list of other reasons, i dont feel like i need to explain the whole thing to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast