What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini-bogs year 2

Some of you may recall my thread from last year regarding setting up 2 mini-bogs. I have decided to start a new thread for their second year. I'm thrilled to see that they survived the winter in my garage and basement (for the coldest periods). Due to our very mild winter, the planters have been outside this week.

Here's a late summer photo for reference:
mini-bag1.jpg

Here they are just starting to wake up today:
march2bog2.jpg

I'm thrilled that my ping survived the winter, as I had mixed reports on overwintering this temperate species:
march2ping.jpg

And lastly, a question: Should I prune my S. rubra and S. leucophylla even though they are still green and still catching prey??:
march2rubra.jpg

As always, thanks for all the helpful information during my first year with CPs.

Duane

Looking great! If you want to, you can cut the old leaves off. It doesn't really matter. They'll be making new ones shortly, anyway. Good to see the pings lived. :)

I watched a video by Sarracenia NW about trimming Sarr and Darlingtonia. They said that Darlingtonia do not need to be trimmed due to the fact that they are cold hardy. I have seen a large Sarr for sale here locally that doesnt look like winter even touched it. the thing was huge and was festering with flies. He had the plant for atleast 9 months he said. It was impressive. Anyways if the pitchers have no bad spots or anysigns of decline then I would not cut them. Unless you need to store them where there is no space. Also dont cut the photosynthetic leaves they put up.

Did you use any lights over the winter? I agree they look great for sitting in your basement! I would not trim. I only trimmed the ones that had died off.

I WOULD TRIM LAST YEAR'S GROWTH.

From what I've seen, it encourages growth. The newer pitchers also seem more robust as a result of trimming.

Make sure you don't catch any of the flower buds with your scissors and cut them off.

I wish I had taken some pics of my leucos last year to show ya the difference.

Did you use any lights over the winter? I agree they look great for sitting in your basement! I would not trim. I only trimmed the ones that had died off.

The plants were only in the basement for about 3 weeks. The rest of the time they were in an unheated garage under a south facing window. I trimmed dry and browning pitchers throughout the winter on all the plants.

I'm really hoping for some blooms from the Sarrs this spring. I didn't have any last year, probably because all the plants were newly transplanted. In fact, I think I can see a bloom bud forming in the center of the S. purpurea!

hey guys... sorry for bothering... I have one question about sphagnum - carnivorous plants moss... I bought one plant several months ago, and when I was transplanting it I found dried sphagnum... So my question is; Is there any chance or possibility to grow new, alive sphagnum moss??

TNX

Yes!

I WOULD TRIM LAST YEAR'S GROWTH.

From what I've seen, it encourages growth. The newer pitchers also seem more robust as a result of trimming.

Make sure you don't catch any of the flower buds with your scissors and cut them off.

I wish I had taken some pics of my leucos last year to show ya the difference.

I agree with Jeff, trimming definitely helps with pitcher production. You could save the pitchers until you see new growth and then start trimming as they start coming up, that way you benefit from a little of both. Very nice bogs btw and great plants!

my rule is: if its brown, its down; if its green, its clean. I always think of it in human terms: id want a dying limb removed, but not a healthy one!

May 28 update

We are finally having warmer weather here in Colorado, and the plants are responding by growing rapidly:

minibogmay28.jpg

I even have my first Sarracinia flower:

purpflower.jpg

The flytraps are coloring up now also:

flytrap.jpg

Lastly, the sundew is sending out a warm welcome this morning to all small flying insects:

sundew.jpg

I'm looking forward to more growth this summer with the plants filling in the containers by this fall.

Back